Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a rod & reel setup for my dad.

Default Need a rod & reel setup for my dad.

Mainly trout fishing and he'll be using 4 pound test most likely.

Thinking of going with an Ugly Stik Lite 6 foot model.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...374&hasJS=true

And a Shimano Sienna 100/4 model.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

Any input?

dude. why. whyy??

look.
    here is all you need.

phenix iron feather
    shimano stella 1000

then you roll up i your range rover with chrome 22s. coolest team on the lake

haha jp. bang for the buck i'd say get on one of the daiwa spinmatics, or if u can get a kencor NZ.. they're out of business so they cost less but the rods are still banging~~ and anything shimano. the reels have a linear lineup.. more u pay the better they get... but all of them are top notch in their respective classes. plus their service is superb.
    no abu garcia. hate. hate hate... hate.. hate hate

I agree Stella's and Iron Freathers. I have 2 Stellas 1000FB's and 2 Phenix Iron Feathers a 7'9 and a 8'6. Can't go wrong. They will last you a Lifetime....

Judging by his choices, he is NOT looking for a $700 combo.

I'd recommend a Sedona 1000 and a Daiwa Spinmatic 7'. A solid combo that will last you a long, long time. After all, it's just trout fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Judging by his choices, he is NOT looking for a $700 combo.

I'd recommend a Sedona 1000 and a Daiwa Spinmatic 7'. A solid combo that will last you a long, long time. After all, it's just trout fishing.
    haha you can get that for 700?!?!? LET ME KNOW WHERE

thats over a grand for that combo.
    sweet set up but too rich for my blood.
    spinmatics definitely one of the top choices bang for buck. and any shimano is good as long as its not plastic

bass pro makes a reel simular to the stella but for way less, it is the johnny morris tournament reel and has a 12 bering system, great reel for only 70 dollars..... i bought three and all my fishing buddies bought this reel as well after trying mine. Eyeamrealghetto saw mine at sarl, he will tell you they are nice..... also kencor has been knocked off alot since they are not around anymore, you can go to bass pro and get the yellow glass rod for 20 bucks, this is very simular and works wonderfull.

goodluck

If your not busy on sunday you should come by Jimmys Outdoors for our trout a thon. we will have all the rods and reels suggessted on this thread and then some... The owners of Phenix Rods will be here as well as the rep for Shimano, they should be able to help you decide on what to get. See the listing for the troutathon on the front page of FNN under upcomoing events.

I'm a 57 year old coot and I've had an Ugly stick for over 15 years. Fished all over the High Sierra with it. The peeps who want you to buy Shimano and expensive gear aren't wrong about how nice the stuff is, but you can have a good time fishing succesfully with the items you posted too. I have a few Quantum reels from tiny to mid size that have caught thousands of trout with no problems.

Look into the $20 Shimano Slades. I have one that's been beaten to heck as a surf fishing reel (dropped in waves, sand, rocks) and a trout reel, and I still use it and am happy. Is it as smooth or feature laden as my Saros? No, but for a budget reel it's doing a remarkably good job. What I like is that it has a very smooth and steady drag. The clicker broke, but the actual drag has never given me problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast