Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one for the surf?

If you are fishing for Calicos around boiler rocks a 7' rod is OK. A Curado or Citica in the 200 size works great.

If you are going to fish for Yellowfin Croaker, Barred Perch or other surf fish that setup is over kill. Recommend the following:

Berkley® AIR™ IM8 Salmon/Steelhead Casting Rod A92-8-6M (1139429) 8 to 12lb, 3/8 to 3/4oz, 8ft 6in (2pc) Medium 99.99 paired with a Citica 200.

The longer rod will provide you increased casting distance to target the fish outside the surf zone, still allows a nice 12" slab perch to put up a good fight, and will handle any bass or halibut to hook into. Been using this setup for about 4 years and it works great.

I recommended the Compre for budget purposes and the Cumara if you can drop the coin.

Ended up with Lefty Citica 200, and Phenix X-11

Now... Who wants to fish? I heard the surf isn't good to go for a while =(, so I have to find new routes to places I have never gone before--harbor....

dun dun dun

Oh! Does 1/4 oz make a difference in casting?

X-11 is 1/2 - 3 oz...

The LC is 3/8oz... about 1/4 oz lighter than the range. Would it make a huge difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Justl1keRaven View Post
    Oh! Does 1/4 oz make a difference in casting?

X-11 is 1/2 - 3 oz...

The LC is 3/8oz... about 1/4 oz lighter than the range. Would it make a huge difference?
    You will be fine. That is just recommended weights. And it isn't a 1/4 oz difference, it is only 1/8 oz difference.

LC is 5/8oz, so you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    You will be fine. That is just recommended weights. And it isn't a 1/4 oz difference, it is only 1/8 oz difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    LC is 5/8oz, so you're good.
    oops, my math sucked there. Thanks guys, I hope to land a fish soon enough! The feeling of catching any fish out in the surf totally justifies the price of this rod.

Good luck man! The surf should be picking up very soon as the swell has settled down, the water is warming up, and the weather is doing the same. The halibut should be spawning shortly. I'll be hitting it up this weekend to see what I can find. As for harbors, take your pick. Newport for spotties galore, and Redondo should be filling up with the usual macs, bonito/bonita, and barracuda soon. Never tried MDR, but it should be good too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12