Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimbait setup for striper

FB, there are lots of guys that throw swimbaits on Curado 300s and have zero problems, myself included. That said, I'd go with a Cardiff as a first swimbait reel since it's cheaper. If you are chucking swimbaits from shore and you solely want stripers, focus on Lunker Punkers and BBZs. A lot of guys like the 6in Plastic punker for stripers since it's $20, durable, and very effective. Slow sink BBZs are nice too, and you can get a floater too. They can be found for around $30 online. A cardiff 300 or 400 and Okuma 7'11H would be good choices.

If you haven't used a baitcaster before though, pick up a Citica 200 and any 7' MH $100 rod. There are a lot at that price point now, but the Lamiglas Excel, St. Croix Mojo Bass, Skeet Reese Tesseras, and Abu Garcia Vendettas are just a few. If you want stripers, focus on topwater, jerkbaits, and lipless crankbaits so you can cover all of the water column.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    FB, there are lots of guys that throw swimbaits on Curado 300s and have zero problems, myself included. That said, I'd go with a Cardiff as a first swimbait reel since it's cheaper. If you are chucking swimbaits from shore and you solely want stripers, focus on Lunker Punkers and BBZs. A lot of guys like the 6in Plastic punker for stripers since it's $20, durable, and very effective. Slow sink BBZs are nice too, and you can get a floater too. They can be found for around $30 online. A cardiff 300 or 400 and Okuma 7'11H would be good choices.

If you haven't used a baitcaster before though, pick up a Citica 200 and any 7' MH $100 rod. There are a lot at that price point now, but the Lamiglas Excel, St. Croix Mojo Bass, Skeet Reese Tesseras, and Abu Garcia Vendettas are just a few. If you want stripers, focus on topwater, jerkbaits, and lipless crankbaits so you can cover all of the water column.
    I would recommend the 7'11" XH Okuma, which is what I have and it works well for throwing Hudds. Since BBZ's are a little heavier than Hudds, I think it would be better than the 7'11" H. I definitely agree with the second paragraph that you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post

Lol I'll agree with most or all of it!

Or get a Citica and Clarus/Compre rod.... Better yet, get them USED. It'll be better for you! Rather you practice and birdsnest a jig then a big swimbait!

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Lol I'll agree with most or all of it!

Or get a Citica and Clarus/Compre rod.... Better yet, get them USED. It'll be better for you! Rather you practice and birdsnest a jig then a big swimbait!
    I agree here as well. My first setup was a Citica 200 with a 6'6" MH Clarus. Haha. Still have it and catch a ton of fish on it. Great all around setup!

Dude, where were you guys 6months ago when i needed help? I got the wrong baitcaster and the right rod. LOL I guess ima have to look into the curado 300s since i have the 200e. Does the 300 hold enough line? Is the Luna or calcutta easy to throw?

Quote Originally Posted by spoon2610 View Post
    Dude, where were you guys 6months ago when i needed help? I got the wrong baitcaster and the right rod. LOL I guess ima have to look into the curado 300s since i have the 200e. Does the 300 hold enough line? Is the Luna or calcutta easy to throw?
    The luna is AWESOME!!! so smooth great castability and a lot less than the calcutta. The luna 300 actually holds more line than the calcutta 300. Check out this rating it compares the 2 reels tic for tac. RJ http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

Quote Originally Posted by rjonly View Post
    The luna is AWESOME!!! so smooth great castability and a lot less than the calcutta. The luna 300 actually holds more line than the calcutta 300. Check out this rating it compares the 2 reels tic for tac. RJ http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html
    That's because the luna 300 is really a 400 size reel. The lune 253 is more the size of the calcutta 300. Another vote for the curado 300, also i would recommend the okuma hvy not the XH, only because you are going to be using baits with trebles and the heavy has a little more tip to it which will give you the cushion with those type of baits. The XH IMO, is too stiff for bbz's and punkers, although it can be done, the heavy is a much more versatile rod that has plenty of backbone for 8" hudds.

Geoff

I fish the majority of my swimmies on either a Curado 300 or a Calcutta 250. They both work well but for different applications. Curado for Lunkers and small hudds and the calcutta for bbz's and larger hudds.

I'd recommend a Cardiff for beginners with either an okuma or mattlures swimbait rod. Great bang for your buck.

If you're new to baitcasting all together, go for a smaller low profile caster such as a citica with an abu Garcia vendetta rod rated 8-17lb.

thanks RJ for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by rjonly View Post

looks like I may have a hookup on a barely used phenix swimbait rod with a calcutta reel for the same price as the okuma and cardiff. the rod is a few years old, does anyone know if the earlier phenix swimbait rods are anygood.

Thanks Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast