Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimbait setup for striper

Default Swimbait setup for striper

Would like to buy swimbait setup for striper, I`ve been doing alot of reading and it seems the okuma rod with a cardiff 300 or 400 would be the most bang for the buck. Now keep in mind I have never done this style of fishing and have no experience with baitcaster style reels. Am I getting in over my head? Is there a more basic setup I should start with, then work my way up to the bigger tackle? I will be shore fishing most of the time, DVL and skinner.

Thanks Bill

I would start off with a normal baitcasting setup first. I wouldn't jump right into swimbaits. You definitely need to know how to cast well with a baitcaster before you start using swimbaits and backlashing and losing expensive swimbaits because of it. I have the Okuma 7'11" XH swimbait rod and I really like it. A Cardiff 400 would be a pretty good reel for swimbaits, if you can't afford the Calcutta 400. It just won't last as long as the Calcutta.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I would start off with a normal baitcasting setup first. I wouldn't jump right into swimbaits. You definitely need to know how to cast well with a baitcaster before you start using swimbaits and backlashing and losing expensive swimbaits because of it. I have the Okuma 7'11" XH swimbait rod and I really like it. A Cardiff 400 would be a pretty good reel for swimbaits, if you can't afford the Calcutta 400. It just won't last as long as the Calcutta.
    Fireball is definitely correct. If you really want a baitcaster to practice with that can also throw swimbaits I would get a Shimano Curado 300e for $249.99. This is a low profile swimbait reel that can throw anything from small softplastic swimbaits to triple trouts and huddlestons and would be much easier to manage for a beginner. Start out with Berkeley hollow bellies and work your way up once you get the hang of the baitcaster. A rod recommendation would be a Fig Rig Matt Newman signature rod $99.99; I have a Powell 7'11" and a Shimano Crucial SB setup and this is by far a lighter, better rod believe it or not. But Okuma is a good option as well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AmBASSador View Post
    Fireball is definitely correct. If you really want a baitcaster to practice with that can also throw swimbaits I would get a Shimano Curado 300e for $249.99. This is a low profile swimbait reel that can throw anything from small softplastic swimbaits to triple trouts and huddlestons and would be much easier to manage for a beginner. Start out with Berkeley hollow bellies and work your way up once you get the hang of the baitcaster. A rod recommendation would be a Fig Rig Matt Newman signature rod $99.99; I have a Powell 7'11" and a Shimano Crucial SB setup and this is by far a lighter, better rod believe it or not. But Okuma is a good option as well. Good luck!
    I would stay away from the Curado 300e for swimbaits. Butch Brown said that he broke one within 2 trips throwing Hudds, haha. Plus it is a more expensive reel than the Cardiff. If you were going to spend that much, you might as well get that Calcutta. I don't have any personal experience with the Curado, but I just wouldn't get it for swimbaits from what I have heard. Also, make sure to get a rod rated for what you are plan on throwing mainly.

Hey man I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I just started throwing swimbaits and like fireball said if you don't have enough experience you WILL Lose some baits :( trust me. But my striper setup is a okuma xh with a luna 300 and man is it sweet... But good luck man and maybe I'll see ya out there with a hog!!! Rj

I would stay away from the Curado 300e for swimbaits. Butch Brown said that he broke one within 2 trips throwing Hudds, haha. Plus it is a more expensive reel than the Cardiff. If you were going to spend that much, you might as well get that Calcutta. I don't have any personal experience with the Curado, but I just wouldn't get it for swimbaits from what I have heard. Also, make sure to get a rod rated for what you are plan on throwing mainly.
    Calcutta's are really nice; I also have a Calcutta 300TE, but I have had a 300e for over a year with no issues throwing 9" baits. Just my opinon. But check out this article it has alot of info..

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewinte...attnewman.html

Hey guys thanks for the input. ok so if I buy a normal baitcast setup, what length of rod and action? 7' mh and what size and types of baits could I use. I really only want to target striper. I guess I could always borrow a buddys baitcast setup and practice, before trowing the big baits and losing them. What swimbaits are good for shore fishing, would you use floaters and slow sinks.
    sorry for all the ? just want to get started in the right direction and have a limited budget.

Thanks Bill

Default curado 300 all the way

I have 6 Curado 300s that have at least 100 hours + on each and i have had zero issues. I service them myself every 3 or 4 months keeps them smooth. I have had all the reels above except the Luna and really IMO love the Curado in fact I'm getting rid of my last calcutta soon to get another Curado.. sorry its already spoken for thou.. as far as rods you cant beat the Okumas for price and value broke one sent it in on Monday , had a replacement rod on Friday.
    K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by K.C.K. View Post
    I have 6 Curado 300s that have at least 100 hours + on each and i have had zero issues. I service them myself every 3 or 4 months keeps them smooth. I have had all the reels above except the Luna and really IMO love the Curado in fact I'm getting rid of my last calcutta soon to get another Curado.. sorry its already spoken for thou.. as far as rods you cant beat the Okumas for price and value broke one sent it in on Monday , had a replacement rod on Friday.
    K.C.
    Do you throw swimbaits with them? How come you have so many? Haha, no 200e's for other things? The Okuma is definitely an awesome rod.

Do you throw swimbaits with them? How come you have so many? Haha, no 200e's for other things? The Okuma is definitely an awesome rod.
    look on the deck of any bass boat why cant you do the same with swimbaits
    K.C.
    Last edited by K.C.K.; 03-10-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast