Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still looking to best use the Innkeeper

Default Still looking to best use the Innkeeper

Hey guys,

I'm still kinda new to the board and still looking to team up with someone who thinks that they can make good use of the live Innkeeper worms that I've been getting lately.

I've got the pair of 12' aluminums on the double trailer...my 'twin tin pangas' and can't decide where best to fish the Innkeepers. We can use the plastics too but...I know that these baits have got to have some serious potential somewhere.

I just got another one yesterday. I can get them consistently now without even dredging up a ton of ghost shimp to do it.

Any takers?

OK...I'm game......I guess I've seen one "Tosh O" show too many.......

Are ya dredging in Thailand by the sex change hospital waste outlet?

Those things are N A S T Y

What The ?!?
    I think I saw those on FEAR FACTOR one time...lol
    Those are crazy looking worms. Where did you get them from? If I may ask?
    Robert

Based on the fact that you have them plated I glad I did not come to your house for dinner!!!

I have no suggestions as to where to put them to use for their greatest potential, but I am sure the members (no pun intended) on the board will be able to help you out!

Steve

Corbina Candy!! Newport harbor + stripped out innkeeper worms + carolina rig = Corbina and Spotfin Croaker.

Serously Inn Keepers can produce some MONSTER Corbina in the bays. I have seen some huge corbs caught on Inn Keepers.

JerryG

Went to a Surf Fishing seminar at the FH show by Bill Varney. He is a bait guy mostly and talked about inn keepers.
    Mostly a beginner surf fishing class, but he did tell me where a guy on another site get his 25" corbinas so it will be game on for me soon.
    I guess you can dig them up where you see the little ant hills in the back bays or at low tide or next to the rocks in the marinas.

How do you tell a inn keeper hole from a ghost shrimp hole ? Do you cut them ? How big of pieces ?

Natural History
    Innkeeper worms build U-shaped burrows in the muddy sand of low-zone mudflats. These fine "innkeepers" maintain lodgings for their buddies in the mud. Food, shelter and running water pumped by the innkeeper worm attract a motley crew of guests to this burrow. Some, like the arrow goby, check in and out quickly; others, like pea crabs and scale worms, take up permanent residency. The innkeeper isn't bothered by these guests, but doesn't benefit, either.
    Conservation
    Many kinds of plants, birds and fishes depend on the special mix of fresh and salt water found in wetlands. When we protect wetlands against development, we protect the homes of many animals.
    Cool Facts
    Innkeeper worms eat by creating a "slime net" that traps tiny bits of food drifting in the water. When the net's full of food, the innkeper swallows its meal—net and all.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/a...aspx?id=778938

Have you tried putting one in a plastic bag and going into a ER and sitting down to see peoples reactions ? When they ask just say ' It's Personal ' DR

Here is a pic in the U shaped hole they build.

What do look like when you cut them ?

DR

I am going to try Newport harbor this weekend and will post a report. I was just hoping for more specific info. I agree with Reveille Deck and jerryG about the carolina rig and in the bays but also know that I need to narrow it down to spots, depth, tide, etc.

As for cutting them open and strip bait...they are very tough on the outside and absolutely disgusting on the inside.

I saw those for the first time surf fishing up north. I'm usually not afraid to handle any kind of bait, but those are just NASTY. They are deadly for stripers in the surf up north.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast