Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a life jacket for a float tube

I just picked up a basic orange pfd at walmart for 7 bucks, until I can afford an inflatable type. It's better than nothing.

Sorry for the thread jack, but i have a question. Do you need to have a PFD if your float tube has Styrofoam inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by pasadenafishin View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack, but i have a question. Do you need to have a PFD if your float tube has Styrofoam inserts?
    Yes, you still need a PFD. It is required no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Did you quote me for an particular reason or just on accident?
    A case of mistaken identity?

I have been tubing since the 80’s and I have only had one blow out. I never liked wearing a PFD vest because they are too bulky. I fly fish and have to cast a lot so the bulky vest would get in the way. I used to clip it to a strap on the bow of my tube. A couple of years back I was tubing Pleasant Valley Reservoir which is basically a slow moving river. I heard a hissing sound and started to lose air. I was scared and got even more scared after I saw my Dads face who was on shore. He looked scared and frustrated that he could do nothing to help me. I then remembered I bought a Mustang inflatable PFD before my trip. It was so light I had forgotten that I was wearing it. It instantly put my mind to ease. If it’s good enough for a navy pilot, it is good enough for me. Fortunately I made it to shore before my waders filled to the top and I did not have to use my PFD. I know if I did not make it back to shore before my waders filled up with water and without a proper PFD I would have drowned. I also started wearing a belt after that experience. My waders filled with ice cold water in a matter of seconds and I could not stop shaking. There was no way that I could put my PFD on fast enough before being pulled under. Please buy the best PFD you can afford and wear it at all times when on the water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12