Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halibut hunting off p.c.h

Default Halibut hunting off p.c.h

I was in the neighborhood off the coast and decided to hit up one of my halibut spots
    for a couple hours. I got there at 12:00 noon and it was a beautiful day but with a
    little bit ....well alot of wind which caused alot of current on the shoreline and made it impossible to fish.
    I tried with the plastics and L.Cs and still it was impossible to fish with any kind of bait
    without a huge sinker on it. I still gave it a try and could not even get it to the money
    spot. After about 2 hours of gail force winds and enuff salt water spray to coat me
    twice i called it a day with out a bite and lots of current and kelp and sea grass i figured
    theres always another day. I did stay around for a while to watch the wind surfers and
    kite surfers tear it up with lots of flips and crazy tricks that were really awesome.

After i finished drying off and heating up in my truck i headed home with the salt skunk
    of the day. But i will return and i will be back to hook, fight and land that monster halibut
    that i lost a few months back......NEVER GIVE UP!!!!.............Fishbones
    Last edited by Fishbones; 03-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.

nice story. what is a l.c.? i've been salt skunked for the past 3 months but like u say i will never give up! though its getting discouraging..

Quote Originally Posted by nsluggs View Post
    nice story. what is a l.c.? i've been salt skunked for the past 3 months but like u say i will never give up! though its getting discouraging..
    Only the best surf fishing lure out there that will slay the halibut......talk to wingnut about them.....hes got a couple.....lol

I know you dont want to give up your spots, but what city is this close to on pch , cuz it looks great, the waves are all shorebreak, great to cast over.. thx, fellow hali hunter

No worries bro....just take the fwy till you see sand and your there....my hook up ratio there isnt that high....

but its close to where my girl works and so i hit it up every now and then

its a tuff spot to fish because of all the surfers and the always changing conditions....

good luck.....fishbones
    Last edited by Fishbones; 03-04-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    No worries bro....its off p.c.h in Laguna....my hook up ratio there isnt that high....

but its close to where my girl works and so i hit it up every now and then

its a tuff spot to fish because of all the surfers and the always changing conditions....

good luck.....fishbones
    Need a spot around MDR where you can get the wind at your back.
    In LB at the Queen Mary public fishing spot you can have the wind at your back on blown out days and cast real far.

DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 03-05-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsluggs View Post
    LC is the acronym for Lucky Craft.
    Look for Lucky Craft lures, the silver blue is EXCELLENT for halibut.

Daiwa and Rapala have similar lures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    LC is the acronym for Lucky Craft.
    Look for Lucky Craft lures, the silver blue is EXCELLENT for halibut.

Daiwa and Rapala have similar lures.
    whats the diffrence between l.c ,daiwas and rapala,besides the price?

thanks for the explantion guys. i'll pick one of these up soon and try to hook my first halibut! hopefully. just started fishing bout 6 months ago and cant get enough of it even though i skunk most of the time but this site sooo helpful its the beeeeeeeeeeeest. love it!

Way to get out there Fishbones,
    I've been out a couple of times the last couple of weeks and was skunked. In fact I went yesterday, but the 12-15 ft waves just killed it for me.
    Thanks for the report and pics,
    Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast