Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Afternoon Blues Bite" in NPH

Default The "Afternoon Blues Bite" in NPH

Usually there is a scrappy sfternoon bite in the harbor but not today! Left the house at noon and made a quick stop at "Save on Tackle" in Santa Fe Springs on the way to pick up some swim baits. I found a new color that caught my eye.

Arrived at about 1:30 pm and was just prepared to spend some time sizing up the conditions and get in some precision casting practice before the sun set and it was game time.

Started throwing the new color for me and after a few casts I get a solid hit and some drag pulling and slack! And the swimmy comes back looking like this!

Good sign so I throw to the same spot and repeat of the last cast!

I guess they like the new pattern! I make another 50 or so casts for not even a nudge and am now ready to pull a switch to the go to spottie special but decided to try 1 more cast that produces the first fish of the day.

Always fun fighting and taking pics of the fight when you are by yourself. A nice 13" chubby to start of the afternoon.

Released her and then bellyed up to a dock in naval deep water and the next battle was on!

Release her and next cast to the same dock produces another just slightly bigger!

Next action was a miss on a nice spotty that came racing out from under a nearly beached sail boat just as I was lifting the swimmy out of the water at my feet! I think she was as surprised as I was and she made an abrupt u-turn and sent water splashing into my face!

Spent a few trying to entice it to come out and play again but it was not to be! Proceeded to cast to the nest dock for this little guy!

Next to play was another Harbor Pancake!

And a smaller spot.

As the sun set and after a short move these guys came to play!

Not a bad afternoon in the harbor vs. sitting at home with the forecast of rain!

8 Spotties and 1 Pancake

Until next time.

Steve

gotta love nph.....great job sticking with the color steve and thanks for the report......fishbones

Good to see you're fallin' back into the groove again Steve, those pics turned out great! Thankyou for the report.

WTG Steve. I can see why you guys always go to NPH vs more challenging (less fishy) waters.
    DR

every time i see a nph thread i got to go.maybe see you out there.nice pics and report.

~~~Sweet Spotties!!! great report damn rite beats watching the forecast anyday

Hey Steve I've got that new color in my tackle box. Bought a few of them as my "murky" water swimbaits, but haven't used them yet. It's nice to see the new color produce some quality spotties for you. I'm starting to get the spottie itch reading this report.

Great job out there Steve,
    I have yet to hit NPH, but my time is coming soon.
    I will make sure to buy a few of those colored softies before I head there.
    Thanks again for the report and pics,
    Robert

p.s. I've been skunked last 3 times, so I havent' posted in a while.

Nice fish Steve, glad to see you back on the water............

Capt'n

Great job in the harbor Steve!
    Looks like a solid day of dock pounding.

Yeah....I'm going nuts but I just don't want to have to drive all of the way to NPH to get on some SW action. Normally I would have already hit up Ventura but did you see what the Tsunami did to my old honey hole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imfd2tTpxv4

Grunion runs in a few weeks my friend.........

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/grunionschedule.asp#runs

Can't wait until the flatties follow them in!

btw......We are going to need some shin guards for some of our spots from last season my friend......Ugggh.....More SWAT gear!
    Last edited by bones; 03-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast