Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdy Boys.....Wanna Go on a Free Trip?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeAmRealGhetto View Post
    got you by 1 minute alex lol
    see you on the boat......

ooh you're in?
    Good stuff

Cogratulations to Fishinone and EyeAmRealGhetto. They will be comped onto our 9am-3pm 1/2 day tomorrow March 4th. Keep checking our posts for more offers. You could be the lucky guy next time. ;)
    Last edited by NewportLanding1; 03-03-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Thank you Lia.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and EyeAmRealGhetto tomorrow.

I live up in santa Clarita. I'd better plan on traffic.

I have spent a lot of time fishing the local boats over the past 25 years and I understand the perspective targeting species and I strongly agree that limited load trips would be good at drawing those willing to pay extra to fish with a light load when the bite starts to heat up and the boats begin to get crowded. However My experience has been that a good crew is going do all that they can to put their passengers on fish.

Take in to consideration that 1/2 day boat captains have a limited amount of time and range to work with so generally they they are going to try to fish for what ever is going to give them the best odds at filling the sacks for their passengers. If one thing isn't working out they don’t have a lot of time to sit it out. They need to change it up and fish for something else. If the boat is catching fish MOST skippers generally will stick with it (as a rule generally they won’t leave fish for fish) Why leave fish that are biting to look for fish that might not be biting unless the boat has limited out on a particular type of fish and is ready to look for something else. Of course mackerel and tomcod don’t apply to this scenario as the targeted fish must be considered desirable.

A 3/4 day boat has more time to spend looking around and more range work with than a half day. As mentioned if a bite for a particular type of fish has been better at particular time of day when the conditions are more favorable then perhaps they might fish for something else until that time. If bass have been biting in the afternoons but slow in the mornings then perhaps the Capt. will spend the morning fishing for rockfish and then spend the afternoon looking for bass rather than sit on a bite that's not happening. I think in most situations boat captains are trying put fish on the boat more than anything. Again regardless if it's a rockfish or a bass they want to target fish that are (biting) will fill the sacks. It may be hard for some passengers to change it up but a good crew will offer to help those who could use some assistance with getting rigged up and also should provide some helpful fish catching info. As a result the boat should catch more fish than if they would have stuck it out on a bite that wasn’t happening of course it doesn’t always work out that way but more often then not it helps put more fish on the boat.

Captains of full day trips or longer are much more likely to spend most if not all of their time in pursuit of exotics (yellows / sea bass or tuna if offshore). They may be holding out for a shot at finding that a wide open bite or choosing to stick it out on a pick bite on the exotics over the higher percentage catch such as bass or rockfish. In my opinion most boats work for a goal of turning in a good count of the most desirable fish that are willing to bite given the time of year and the length of the trip. The fish count more than anything is what brings the people out/ sells the tickets.

jerryG

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    In my opinion most boats work for a goal of turning in a good count of the most desirable fish that are willing to bite given the time of year and the length of the trip. The fish count more than anything is what brings the people out/ sells the tickets.

jerryG
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Might i also add that...it doesn't hurt to ask around before jumping on the boat. The crew usually have a good understanding of what works and what doesn't, and thats all it takes to give you some time to pick up the needed gear/setup/lures from the landing's tackle store to prepare you for the day of fishing possibilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12