Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sand Crab questions

Default Sand Crab questions

I've noticed a huge difference between the size and amount of sandcrabs from beach to beach - some beaches are litteraly crawling with big, crabs full of roe while other beaches have just a scattering of pea-sized critters. Anyone here an expert on sandcrab behavior, movement, spawning, etc.?

Do these things have a "spawning season"? Do they migrate in anyway?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Are you writing an article for National Geographic or something? Why don't you just watch the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet for a couple days, they're bound to have something on sand crabs.

going on with the sand crab question, is there any good way to keep them alive over night in case one wanted to use sand crabs that are abundant at one beach to a beach that has few?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty6
    going on with the sand crab question, is there any good way to keep them alive over night in case one wanted to use sand crabs that are abundant at one beach to a beach that has few?
    Simply put them on in a container with moist paper towel on the bottom. They will stay alive for days. Keep them in a cool area.

Default Re: Sand Crab questions

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad
    I've noticed a huge difference between the size and amount of sandcrabs from beach to beach - some beaches are litteraly crawling with big, crabs full of roe while other beaches have just a scattering of pea-sized critters. Anyone here an expert on sandcrab behavior, movement, spawning, etc.?

Do these things have a "spawning season"? Do they migrate in anyway?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Mating occurs mostly in spring and summer. A female may produce as many as 45,000 eggs. She carries them on her abdomen until the eggs hatch; about 30 days later. For two to four months, the larvae drift as plankton, and currents may carry them long distances. Sand crabs can reproduce during their first year of life, depending on the water temperature, and may not live more than two to three years.

Quote Originally Posted by valhalla_1_2000
    Are you writing an article for National Geographic or something? Why don't you just watch the Discovery Channel or Animal Planet for a couple days, they're bound to have something on sand crabs.

I'm sorry, but that was rude and uncalled for. enough said.
    :evil: :evil:
    I for one appreciate the information sharing. I know wet papertowels keep them alive in a cool place. I always seem to have the most trouble finding the bigger ones. Are they way deep? Or are there signs when bigger ones are about?

Quote Originally Posted by olfishergal
    Quote Originally Posted by valhalla_1_2000

I'm sorry, but that was rude and uncalled for. enough said.
    :evil: :evil:
    I for one appreciate the information sharing. I know wet papertowels keep them alive in a cool place. I always seem to have the most trouble finding the bigger ones. Are they way deep? Or are there signs when bigger ones are about?
    it seems i have to dig atleast 6 inches down to get some really big ones

thanks for the info. Have you noticed that some beaches have bigger ones than others? Just wondering if u ever see a trend.

The only thing I have noticed is that steeper sloped beaches seem to have less beds, which kinda makes sense. In addition, if you find you're having to dig super deep for them, you may wish to try finding a bed closer to where the water regularly washes up.

City Dad: do you think you're crab pattern is susceptible to being fished with a real small clear bubble filled with water and a fluoro leader on a spinning outfit? I bet it can be done, although it kinda takes away the fun of flyfishing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansou
    The only thing I have noticed is that steeper sloped beaches seem to have less beds, which kinda makes sense. In addition, if you find you're having to dig super deep for them, you may wish to try finding a bed closer to where the water regularly washes up.

City Dad: do you think you're crab pattern is susceptible to being fished with a real small clear bubble filled with water and a fluoro leader on a spinning outfit? I bet it can be done, although it kinda takes away the fun of flyfishing it!
    Yeah! I think that might be the best way to fish them actually. I think they could have used a bit more weight (so halijedi, paintfish, you guys might want to add a split-shot or two to those things.) Haven't had much time at the bench lately, but I've got some silicon sealer that I think would make a much better, or at least softer shell. The last ones I tied had shells of a UV curing knot dressing and it was sort of hard-ish. I've also got some barbell-style eyes which should do a better job getting them down in the surf. Will post pics for any one who wants some flies as soon as I have some good ones.

Once again, thanks for all the tips folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast