Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About C/R on bass and why it is bad for the lake.

Default About C/R on bass and why it is bad for the lake.

I was reading yesterday in the California Fish and Game magazine at the supermarket and it was talking about C/R bass and how it is bad. It was say the you are doing more bad then good for the lake. It was saying that you have to take a few out or the size of the bass in the lake will not get that big because there to many of them and not enough food for them all to grow. Go and look at this month issue and you will see it in there.

And why don't I believe this? Just look at the Lagoon. Lots of bass and lots of big bass.

Default C&r

This really doesn't relate to California IMO. This is targeted for Alabama, Texas, Florida, etc. where bass absolutely dominate the lakes.

Our bass populations are healthy in some of our lakes but not overwhelmed like in lakes in other states. Always C&R in SoCal.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBoyBlue View Post
    This really doesn't relate to California IMO. This is targeted for Alabama, Texas, Florida, etc. where bass absolutely dominate the lakes.

Our bass populations are healthy in some of our lakes but not overwhelmed like in lakes in other states. Always C&R in SoCal.
    this is true. when i was in utah they told me no realeasing mossbacks but the carps do c&r...yeah everything in utah is backwards anyways..

I disagree 150%. Humans are NOT part of the ecosystem that LMB exist in. Therefore, there is NEVER any reason to remove them through human action. As I have always said, understanding population ecology will demonstrate that natural selection and carrying capacity will always bring the population of LMB under control. (This happens through various ways including predation, starvation, disease, etc.) In other words, nature has its own way of dealing with population size in any ecosystem.

This is especially true on "high pressure" lakes such as those in California. Practicing CandR here in California will ensure a quality fishery for years to come.

To me, the thought of culling LMB in ANY lake in California is rediculous.

Just my two cents!
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 02-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Agree 100% Stormcrow. You won't do any damage throwin a bass back in the drink. DO NOT LET THIS THREAD STOP YOU FROM PRACTICING C&R!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I disagree 150%. Humans are NOT part of the ecosystem that LMB exist in. Therefore, there is NEVER any reason to remove them through human action. As I have always said, understanding population ecology will demonstrate that natural selection and carrying capacity will always bring the population of LMB under control. (This happens through various ways including predation, starvation, disease, etc.) In other words, nature has its own way of dealing with population size in any ecosystem.

This is especially true on "high pressure" lakes such as those in California. Practicing CandR here in California will ensure a quality fishery for years to come.

To me, the thought of culling LMB in ANY lake in California is rediculous.

Just my two cents!
    +1 Well said!

check out legg lake alot of people kept bass this last year and now its dead

Perfect example TonyLisa the bass fishery at Legg Lake has been decimated by people keeping bass. In a healthy lake as others have mentioned I believe there is a natural balance. There are plenty of lakes (golf course ponds, private waters, rock quarries) that support healthy populations of big bass which are seldom ever fished and total take is 0.

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 02-24-2010 at 12:30 AM.

one lake DVL tons of bass and tons of big BASS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast