Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: First time to Lake Isabella: new to this...

Default First time to Lake Isabella: new to this...

How's it going everyone! First off, I'm new to this board as well as to fishing and camping. I'm headed up to Lake Isabella, Ca. this April. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for bass and/or trout fishing up there? Should I go for one spieces? Any kind of advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

you might wanna give a call up to the lake before you go.

water quality up there had been killing fish in past years.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up!

big bass there when you see them jumping try a rapala this payed off for me in the form of a 10 pounder

cutbait Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CL SmooV View Post
    you might wanna give a call up to the lake before you go.

water quality up there had been killing fish in past years.
    Not true

Plan for wind. Izzy equals Pyramid in the wind dept.

Well Cutbait, since you're from Bakersfield I'm going to take your advice. All in all, thanks! I appreciate it. Also considering Silverwood Lake just from what I've already heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Not true

Plan for wind. Izzy equals Pyramid in the wind dept.
    I agree with Cutbait on both statements.

I've been fishing Isabella since 1979 and every year there is a fish die off at Isabella, some years are worse than others but it has nothing to do with water quality. It’s the yearly algae bloom that causes it. When the water warms up the algae bloom occurs. Algae depletes oxygen. During the warmer months the lake level drops quickly, fish that are in the shallows that get cut off from the main body of water get trapped in the shallow water, especially once they cannot get back over the top of the flume. Shallow water plus algae equals no oxygen and the fish die off.

As to the wind, Isabella can get windy and it can be very dangerous. In my opinion while Pyramid does get windy it’s not as dangerous as Isabella is when the wind picks up. Like I stated in another thread, keep an eye on the on the sky above the dams. When you see the haze building up in the Kern River canyon, the sky behind the dams, start getting closer to shore because its gonna get windy, sometimes very quickly. Be careful, wear your life vest if in a boat.