Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flourocarbon

Alright, so is it safe to assume that you can spool with a heavier Floro, say 10-15# if you are used to spooling with 8-10# Mono, since the Floro is a smaller diameter, and it would be just as strong. By the way I am fishing all freshwater, LMB all the time. I stick with Mono for topwater.
    Last edited by TopwaterBassin; 02-17-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopwaterBassin View Post
    Alright, so is it safe to assume that you can spool with a heavier Floro, say 10-15# if you are used to spooling with 8-10# Mono, since the Floro is a smaller diameter, and it would be just as strong. By the way I am fishing all freshwater, LMB all the time. I stick with Mono for topwater.
    It is stronger. fluorocarbon is used preferably for freshwater.... It is excellent for dropshottin' and finesse, but I still use it for everything. My line sees bays (handles salt better too IMHO) and lakes.... It works well for topwater too... I use 15lb when there are boils, using kpns and other topwater lures.

Definitely, if you want to do that. If you buy 15 lb fluoro and it is the same diameter as 12 lb mono, then you will still get 15 lb breaking strength from the fluoro. Some companies (Triple Fish and maybe others) rate their line's breaking strength higher or lower than it really is, so look around at diameters from different companies to make sure that you get what you are expecting with the line you choose.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 02-17-2010 at 08:52 PM.

GeordeyBass, doesn't the weight of the line and the fact that it sinks effect the action of the topwater, a lot of people have stated this? I agree for Finesse fishing it is better from what I understand, just trying to get opinions and input from everyone.

GeordeyBass, doesn't the weight of the line and the fact that it sinks effect the action of the topwater, a lot of people have stated this? I agree for Finesse fishing it is better from what I understand, just trying to get opinions and input from everyone.
    It definitely effects it, unless you are working the lure really fast. I've even noticed copoly effecting topwater lures, if the copoly sinks faster than mono but slower than fluoro. It is especially hard to walk the dog if the line is making your lure ride nose down. Mono or braid are the best choices for topwater! Don't listen to Geordy, he is just a noob!! JK

It hasn't been a problem for me at all. I walk the dog, twitch it, jerk it, and the line sinking may help the action a little(but not much), as it lowers the slack. It's really personal preference and not really technique specific. It'll do the job the same as Mono, and finesse just a little better. Remember, better line = price increase.

I also like fluoro more, especially because it doesn't fray as easy and handles Saltwater very well. I easily get 10-14 trips on a spool of fluoro, whereas mono only got me 5 or so before having frays and increased memory to it.

This is certainly my opinion, as I use Mono/Fluoro/Co-Polymers all the time. All have their use for me, so I wouldn't ever stop using one type. My Personal favorite lines, as I said before; are Cuda, InvizX, and Blackwater, as well as Suffix lines(mono).

Preference is the Key brotha.

I agree that preference is the key, as I stated, I prefer Mono for all Topwater fishing and would never stray from Mono for topwater. I am just trying to figure out if the theory of Floro for Finesse is true. I have caught just as many LMB on Mono finesse fishing as my friend has using Floro. I have also noticed that he will break off easier in thick cover (maybe a bad spool), where I am able to muscle the fish out and not be concerened about break offs. Since I prefer casting into heavy cover, and have seen the outcome from both I am torn. I have also heard just the opposite from others as well. Just want to see if Floro will actually give you that edge since it is less visible in the water, and will not spook line shy fish. Everyone wants that edge when it comes to fishing.

Good quality fluoro is more abrasion resistant than mono. Some of the cheap stuff that I have tried is less abrasion resistant than mono, though. Seaguar Carbon Pro has never let me down. I tried the InvisX for a period of three months and was not impressed with it.

It is generally accepted that fluoro is more abrasion resistant than mono. Fluoro is stiffer, harder to handle, and less bouyant than monom but it lasts longer, is less visible, and more abrasion resistant.

Strength should not be detemined by the breaking strength labeled on the box, but rather by the strength:diameter ratio. If a line is rated 12lb, but is equivalent to 14lb test in diameter, than that defeats the purpose.

That said, I would not use fluoro rated stronger than my mainline. Reason being, if I were to snag, I would lose leader+mainline whereas I would just lose leader if it were equal or weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    That said, I would not use fluoro rated stronger than my mainline. Reason being, if I were to snag, I would lose leader+mainline whereas I would just lose leader if it were equal or weaker.
    x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast