Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Noob Question about tackle and lures

Default Noob Question about tackle and lures

Can you use a spinning rod and reel to fish with lures such as the KPN skinny shad, pencil poppers, etc.? Or do you have to use a baitcaster?

no you can use a spinning rod. medium heavy action with 12lb tst. and like a 2500 size reel.

Any suggestions on a make/model of reel? I was thinking about getting an Ugly Stick, though I prefer 2-pc rods since that's the only ones that will fit in my Acura!

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    no you can use a spinning rod. medium heavy action with 12lb tst. and like a 2500 size reel.

make sure you can buy a extra spool and fill it with a different line size on it.
    just in case you will change targeted species or have options to fish with.

yeah id say 8lb and 12lb. i like shimano so id suggest a sahara or symetry 2500. as for rods... idk theres thousands to choose from but agian shimano clarus comes to mind.

Ugly stisk is actually not bad...just dump the 1 bearing reel with the horrible sticky drag, or you'll lose fish left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Chaser View Post
    Any suggestions on a make/model of reel? I was thinking about getting an Ugly Stick, though I prefer 2-pc rods since that's the only ones that will fit in my Acura!
    You will be able to fit a 1 piece rod in your car. I definitely like 1 piece rods better. I have fit my 7'11" swimbait rod in a small car before! You just have to put it inside the car instead of the trunk. It barely fit!

I would suggest a Shimano Clarus spinning rod and a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel; and again as your fellow FNN'ers said above 8lb and 12 lb test or you could get by with 10lb; but starting out you might loose some lures. Good luck!
    Last edited by AmBASSador; 02-10-2010 at 08:07 PM.

The preferred rod from the kpn and gary is the 7'6" MH XF Shimano Crucial....Bait Casting.
    15lb mono or 30lb braid.

Spinning rod, I would get anything over 7' MH or H action. I recommend the Teramar South East spinning rod, 7'6" MH model# TMSXF76MH.... and a Shimano Symetre or a Sahara 3000.

All the Rods fit in my sister's car, so i bet they'll fit in yours....

Good Luck!