Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Flathead fever 2 - Palo Verde sign ups April 17-18

Yessir, I've done my chores around the house, and have gotten the ok from wifey. I'll B Der!!!

1. Bluehunter +1
    2. Team760 & Gina
    3. Desertcatrat+1
    4. Kotka-man +1
    5. Bigdaddykane
    6. Will
    7. Andre
    8. Fullstringer+2
    9. Horace Brown
    10. Anthony and the Funky fishing Show + ?
    11. Ryan7878
    12. Catmando
    13. OnDaHunt4Fish
    14. Earl+1
    15. Katnip and La Mesa Boys (Eric Williams, Kurt Williams, Morgan Blake, Dino Richetti, Rob Hughes, Daniel Remirez, and Josh Lamarough)
    16. Mangles
    17. Demetrius Williams
    18. Danny300
    19. Trueblue +2
    20. Keith Brown
    21. Gary the cable guy +2
    22. Lowe +1
    23. Astrolux +1
    24. Catratmamma.
    25. Jimeisaac
    26.Mackabee +2
    27. Howard +1
    28.Dustin (#1fisherman) + 2
    29. Bill
    30. Luckie33 +12
    31. Chauncey
    32. Darrian
    Last edited by Coach D'; 04-14-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Default Ok everybody

Ok everybody one day away. Make sure everyone meet at Cibola refugee trail entrance off hwy78 at 730am so that we can make way to registration above the camp area at 8am. If you are taking insterstate 10 you will make a right turn on hwy 78 which is before you reach the town of Blythe. Continue south go towards the town of Palo Verde and continue pass the town about 2 miles on your left you will see cibola reguee trail entrance where I will be posted waiting to bring everyone to meeting area.

Also people remember that you can fish the canals or main river for this one. Those of us fishing the canals that is what is suggested as it offers some of the best flathead fishing in the area. Don't let anyone tell you different just ask the locals and those with experience. Flats up to 70 plus pounds have been caught in the canals. Also it offers an opportunity for those that do not have a boat to fish it. Young and old. You can move around much easier. You can camp out next to fishing grounds. You can bring your family and still fish. You can bring your RV and fish. You can bbq, hang out with friends and buddies, socialize, or even sleep in your car. Its is the most convenient way to fish minus hazards that can come along with fishing the main river such as current, boat stalling, fishing alone with little or no other boats out there with you, sand bars, not being able to navigate at night, plus emergency situations as well that may arise.

If you do plan to navigate the main River make sure you do so with an experienced person that knows the water. Deep V boats are not recommended, plus use a partner system while you are out there. Use a motor that is also of good horse power or else when traveling up river against the current you may have a very hard time.

Make sure you follow the must have list I provided earlier in this thread. Make sure that you have a good amount of gas in your tank for moving around. The town of Palo Verde does have a gas station but it closes at night. Be sure to put gas in your car or truck during the day time.

Again those needing placement of fishing spots I will take you all there. Plus the same with bait spots as well. Make sure you have a bucket or ice chest for placement of bait. Also make sure you have system of providing air for the bait such as an aerator so that the bait can stay alive. 2 is recommended. There is a bait spot in Blythe called B&B that knows of WCCM and its event that can provide goldfish if you want to get goldfish for bait. However that is suggested if you can not find bait which may be unlikely especially at the tilapia holes. I do like to use goldfish during the day time and save my good bait for at night so I will likely go into town of Blythe and get me a dozen. If you would like to follow me please do.

Again the fee is very affordable at 25 dollars for the event.

Flatheads 1st thru 3rd place $20

Single biggest channel takes all $5

Permits have been secured and will be available on the DFG site for your viewing of a sanctioned legal event.

Again please follow the state rules and use required bait and allowed rods.

Practice safety while you are out there and use caution as far as setting heat fires for warmth.

And most of all drive safely on your way to event and way going home from event. There have been a few accidents in the past due to incidents and we want everyone to make it safely and to make it home safely. Driving the speed limit is key plus being aware and free of alcohol. If you have a buddy system make sure the person who is rested the most do the driving on the way home, or just talk his butt off while you are driving. LOL

Again people thank you for signing up and I look forward to seeing everyone for a grand ole time. We will take lots of pictures plus have a video of the event.

T shirts will be available in various sizes plus window decals as well. Please see either I or team760 for inquiries regarding such items.

Thanks everyone --See ya there!

B
    Last edited by bluehunter; 04-16-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Well folks the Flathead Fever two is in the books. I would like to thank each and everyone of you for showing up and supporting WCCM. It truly has been a pleasure providing a catfishing arena for southern California. Not only are we the originators for engaging in this, we are also the teachers in showing folks, novice or expert, new arenas in fishing when it comes to catfishing. California surely does have its advantages in that we have catfishing year round - wether its blues, channels, or flatheads - there is always catfishing to be had in southern California.

I would like to thank the following people for help making this possible - Team 760 & Gina. Much love Tee for again helping to make this an great tournament. Those Ribeye steaks were the bombay. You are always good company out on the water as well, plus my son also enjoyed your company. Can not wait for the next one. I know we will have a blast again. Thanks goes out to Ant Dawg, aka the Aquaman and the Funky Fishing Show. Once again my brother nice to hang around with you and the crew. Definitely fun company. Looking forward to the next time we get out on the water again. Will holla at you soon when I back in Berdu area. Much love goes out to True Blue and Chauncey. Thanks for your dedication to WCCM events and as always good company out on the water. Thanks to Mike and his son for showing up and participating. Thanks goes out to the La Mesa Boys - Eric and the Crew for their dedication and participation in the flathead events. Thanks to FullStringer as well. Always good to see you and been there from the beginning of our events. Thanks goes out to Big Daddy Kane and his wife and children for coming out. You are always a willing participant. Thanks goes out to my man Earl. Congrats on getting married and see you out there soon as well.Thanks goes out to Ryan for also being a dedicated particpant. Nice looking livewell you have there and I look forward to getting one of those - congrads on taking first place you deserve it. Thanks also to Darrian. If I missed anybody I did not mean too. I would like to thank each and every one of you for support. Whenever you need anything you have my number and know how to reach me. Just ask and I wil provide if I can.

The report - The action was not as good as we would have liked it to be. Totally different from a few weeks ago. Some anglers fished the area 5 weeks in a roll and had success until this weekend. One thing of concensus that we agreed on was the spawn. These flatheads are actively into the spawn. When this happens - they eat very little if not at all. The prespawn is an active feeding period as well as the post spawn. Not all flats spawn at the same time however the bulk of them do engage at the same time period. Some noted trends over the weekend was the fish picking up the bait and moving it to another spot. They would just mouth the bait and move the bait away from the area they were at. One thing that let us know this was not the action of a turtle was the bait was still in tact or was scaled. Turtles normally pick the bait apart from the head or the gut area. Some anglers reported in having 11 runs and no hook up as the flats would not injest or take the bait. A quick hook set is required in these situation and it is a 50/50 chance you make hook them that fast initially.

Even with these facts at hand some anglers did manage to pull off some flatheads. Aquaman from the Funky Fishing show had one break his line totally after waking up and seeing his rod holder on the ground. They ran into a decent bass bite as well. The channel bite was the best bite over the weekend as channels up to 5 1/2 pounds was brought in from the canal or main river alike at the hippie hole. 2 big Tilapia was caught one at 3.5 pounds and another on at 2.5. A few flatheads up to about 8.5 pounds made its way into the weekend mark.

The following provides a snap of the weekend results:

Channel Division

5.65# channel - EarL Savard - Main River - First place winner took all. $120
    5.00# channel - Morgan Blake - Palo Verde Canal
    2.99 # channel - Ryan W - Palo Verde canal
    2.24# channel - Kurt Willians - Palo Verde canal
    1.6# channel - Eric Williams - Palo Verde canal

Flathead division

8.1# flathead - Ryan W - Palo Verde Canal - First place $220
    6.83#s - Eric Williams - Palo Verde Canal - 2nd place $155
    5.5#s - Jeremy Williams - Palo Verde Canal - 3rd place $65
    3.0 # - Darrian Robinson - Palo Verde Canal

Two big tilapia also caught at 3.5 and 2.5 pounds

And most of all - everyone had fun. I surely hope that the new participants learned something in this weekend adventures and again thank you for your support.

Next event is May 15-16 in Imperial Valley in Westmorland. Thread has already been generated for that. See ya there!

Also the official WCCM rodholders will be soon available and ready by the May 15 tournament. They are the last catfishing rod holders you will buy for bank fishing - made for bank fishing for big catfish - they sit high, not having to bend over, and they are made of the best material as well. They will be available in various colors and testing was done this weekend. All I can say is wow - get you some. Contact us if you would like to pre order them. They are $20 each. Video to come out next month of the rod holders.

More T shirts will be available as well. We pretty much sold out and more is on the way in long sleeve and short sleeve in black and white. More window decals will be available too by the next event.

Blessings to everyone again for your support. See ya at the next one . Thank you and see ya on the water soon.

Brian C aka bluehunter aka cool B aka da teacher.

Here are some pics to share that I was able to take. The video will be up shortly after I get the right formats and etc for youtube going.

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2c.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	21979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever 2 a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	21977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2b.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	21978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	21980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2g.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	21981  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2j.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	21982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2k.jpg 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	21983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2l.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	21984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2m.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	21985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	21986  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fever2e.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	21987  

wow what a turn-out.....good job brian & to all those who participated....it's nice to see erverybody out fishing for the mighty flathead at the colorado river.....the boys & i bagged flats of 24 & 14 and a channel of 11 lbs last weekend......man we one week to early......but that's o.k......we will catch you on the re-bound !!.......westcostcatmasters rock...keep up the good work brian !!

THE B.D.B.

Better than I did Scott. I got skunked again. Thats a good score though for you guys.

B

Last edited by bluehunter; 04-19-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567