Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead weights illegal???

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    They won't be banning it anytime soon, if they do at all. If they do ban lead, then I will just buy my stuff illegally, lol.
    And how do you know they wont be banning it??? Dude like I've said before you should calm way down. Your know it all attitude is getting annoying.

Its happened in other states, what makes California so special?? California is already a pretty strict state especially on environmental issues. The more I think about it, the more I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
    http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...e_lead_out.htm
    Last edited by Astrolux; 02-02-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    dont forget tungsten sinkers. those bio degradable sinkers are a joke. a 1/4oz is the size of a 2 oz lead weight. and tungsten is just wAYYY to expensive.
    for the record a 1/4 ounce tungsten weigt is smaller than a 1/4 lead weight. so a 1/4 ounce tungsten wieght is more like the size of a 1/8 ounce lead weight

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolux View Post
    And how do you know they wont be banning it??? Dude like I've said before you should calm way down. Your know it all attitude is getting annoying.

Its happened in other states, what makes California so special?? California is already a pretty strict state especially on environmental issues. The more I think about it, the more I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
    http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...e_lead_out.htm
    Sorry man, lol. There hasn't been any talk of it or anything and they can't ban something in a matter of days or anything. It takes time for these things to pass. I never said they won't ban it, I said that they won't be doing it anytime soon, if they ban it at all. I knew Washington has ban lead already because of the loons, but I thought that was the only state as far as banning it for use in fishing. Do you know why New Hampshire banned it?

Both states banned it out of environmental concerns. Several of the Great Lakes States are talking about banning it. If Im not mistaken, so has some of the Canadian provinces, dont take my exact word on that tho I might be mistaken. It will happen here in California. First it was for the condors, soon someone will figure out a way to ban it in freshwater. Lead DOES clutter the bottom....dont be surprised when someone with an agenda grabs hold of it. The ocean, I dont know if they will. Lead also presents a very small toxicity concern with accumulation on the bottom over time, and since freshwater means drinking water in California, I doubt it will be long before someone finds a way to finagle a lawsuit over lead use in public water reservoirs.
    I dont think it will take too long to come up with a relatively cheap alternative. Many fly fisherman now use lead alternative shot to weight their flies down to the bottom, including myself. Tungsten is great, but since the raw metal is expensive to mine and process, I dont think tungsten sinkers will get any cheaper. Bismuth isnt an option unfortunately because most forms of it contain a small bit of lead.
    Last edited by dockboy; 02-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Actually Washington hasn't yet committed to the ban of lead in fishing and is supposed to announce its decision this month. But if they do they will be following lead restrictions similar to restrictions in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New York. Most of these restrictions are related to Loons. Loons choose small pebbles to help digest their food in their stomachs. A lead weight mistaken for a pebble and sent into the digestive system will cause lead poisoning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12