Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: going to climb whitney late august-early september

Sounds like my old man will be hiking with you! No stopping, straight to the top, 20 min break at the peak and straight back down! Lol Well definitely get your casts in and enjoy the unbelievable scenery, Whitney wilderness is to me the most beautiful place on Earth. Definitely get up to a high ridge early enough to see a sunrise coming over the White mountains, it will change your life.

whatever you do don't fish Consultation lake near trail Camp. There are no 18 inch bows in there to be had. JK Bro. I camped at Consultation 3 years ago and crushed some beautiful trout. Hundreds of people camp at Trial Camp to get a good start at the summit, but it sucks up there. We hiked to consultation and set up camp at a lake we had to ourselves. The next day we just fished all day and the fishing was great. The third day we made the summit. This was the way to do it for me because it takes me a while to acclimate. Have fun!
    Last edited by sierraslam; 02-04-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Was thinking about that climb this summer on the Whitney Trail, the easiest trail from what I have read. How tough of a climb is this and do you leave your pack/tent at the Trail camp before you summit then pick it up on the way down or haul everything to the top ?
    Are Permits hard to get for September ?
    Whats the Difficulty factor from 1-10?

Thanks for any input..

Permit difficulty? 11 out of 10.
    Climbing? The Trail Crest switchbacks can make or break you, that's what usually knocks ppl out. I don't know if you can leave your gear anywhere b/c I'm only a day hiker. Good luck on the permits though.

Thanks Jag..

Our plan is to go in late August or early September when it is somewhat easier to get a permit. Also we are doing the hike in three days. Hiking to Consultation lake and camping; day two we will summit and come back to camp; then hike out on day three. With as much fishing crammed in there as i can. I figure the hike to Consultation Lake will help us get acclimated to the elevation and give me some time to fish!

KP
    <><

OOPS Typo!!! Not December; august!
    Last edited by oakboy; 02-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Late December? Wow....you're a braver man than I.

Early September is a good choice - but permits won't be much easier as Labor Day is a bit later this year. You'll llikely be in a lottery so make your plans and cross your fingers. One of these days I'll give it a shot - but I'll come from the west insead of coming from the portal.

I sent my application for a permit already. It is best to give a wide range of dates when applying and plan your trip if you get in. I know people that have applied for weekends only and did not get a permit. Be flexible in other words. Go to Whitney portal store .com for application info. good luck!

I did this hike in 08. We were going for a 1 day deal. Our agreement was that if we didn't make the top of the switchbacks (13,600') by 1pm we had to turn back. I got there at 2, so took a nice break and turned back. Still didn't reach the portal till 10:30pm. Next time I'll start at 3:30am instead of 5:30. Aslo, if you are an office creampuff, do a little training up to this. It will hurt a lot less when you get off the trail. There is a lot of good reading on the web about the trail and what to take...bla...bla...bla. Everybody in our party took too much stuff. If there are several people in your party expect that unless bound by cables, you will divide into a fast group and a slower group. Not a problem, unless only one of you is carrying the "group first aid kit". You can see where this goes. Next time I go I'll definately take fish gear. It wasn't even on my mind last time. Too bad.

I look forward to your report on this adventure. It will be a trip to remember. Take your cell phone, but keep it off until you summit. It only works on the peak, so no point in having it roaming killing the battery. Call someone you love.

Those are all excellent tips for the first timers, Mojave!
    I think the majority of your pack weight should be water, also. Go lighter on the other stuff, and definitely skip the red bulls, I only made that mistake once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast