Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: mt whitney..goldens?

Guys & Gals....this thread has received a crapload of traffic (16,000+ views) which may not be a good thing for this particular fishery. Even though I've been there, and know how incredibly hard it is to reach, this much traffic makes me nervous. There aren't many places like it in the high country of California.

I'm just shooting off the cuff here but maybe further debates are ideal for PM.....I know that's how I'm keeping it from here on out.

peace,
    smitty
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 04-24-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Keep it quiet Smitty

if this were my site this thread wouldve been deleted a long time ago. i have heard of this area before but never any specifics. yes, its hell to get to and despite the large number of views still wont get hit that hard but now the information is out there.

i agree with sierra smitty, this place doesnt get fished and even a fair amount of pressure will change this lake a lot. it makes me nervous as well. hopefully, things wont get to bad but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    Keep it quiet Smitty
    lol honeslty respect what the guy is saying. he knows his stuff about the eastern sierra. i too share his concern about the amount of traffic this thing has gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by mii View Post
    lol honeslty respect what the guy is saying. he knows his stuff about the eastern sierra. i too share his concern about the amount of traffic this thing has gotten.
    Well this will be my final posting, but if this thread concerns anyone, know this: The lake in the thread pic is a lake along the Whitney trail which requires a permit that can only be aquired in Feb. and impossible to get any other time. Also, to reach that point requires good physical shape, endurance and a relatively good background in bakcpacking. That leaves you fat men out.

Oh yah you have to carry your own ***** (poop) out with you, enjoy.
    Last edited by Homeslice; 04-24-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
    Well this will be my final posting, but if this thread concerns anyone, know this: The lake in the thread pic is a lake along the Whitney trail which requires a permit that can only be aquired in Feb. and impossible to get any other time. Also, to reach that point requires good physical shape, endurance and a relatively good background in bakcpacking. That leaves you fat men out.

well if this info is correct im not worrying as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

it is correct and that is one of the reasons this thread is still up. i was thinking about taking it down but to get to these lakes is no walk in the park. apart from the permits, my bros boy scout troop trained for over a year for this hike. running at least twice a week and a hike every month. and still, some people did not make it all the way.

so all in all, if youre willing to go get the permits, spend the time to get into shape, plan out your approach (front or back side), get the right gear, do your research, spend the money, etc..then all the more power to you. go for it!!
    Last edited by aboos; 04-24-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Good points all around. I kinda wrassled with the Italy Lake/Desolation Lakes info and whether to post it or not. For the reasons stated in the post, I went ahead and shared it.

The Whitney area is TIGHTLY regulated as to access, so some pretty comprehensive protection of the resource results from that.

It is at this time of year--when I used to start the detailed planning of the back-country summer and fall fishing trips--that I truly miss the ability to walk those mountains like I used to. For those of you young enough to still be in decent shape--or older and who maintained physical condition that enables such work--I cannot over-emphasize the importance of keeping fit. When I was diagnosed with the CIDP disorder in 2003, the neurosurgeon expressed surprise that I could walk at all due to test results. I guess I didn't get that memo. What I'm saying--IF YOU'RE IN GOOD PHYSICAL SHAPE--STAY THAT WAY. If not--GET THAT WAY. Long-term exercise and conditioning saved my ability to walk--and likely saved my life in late 2004 when I got a serious staph aurea condition. EXERCISE PAYS DIVIDENDS FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFE--sometimes in ways you wouldn't think of.

Exclamation

Here's something else to consider guys.

This thread has been up 90 days short of ONE YEAR...... each and every time a person views the thread it counts as a "view"..... in fact, there is more than a couple people on this site that have viewed this thread 100's of times during that year..... so Im not sure if "views" are a telltale sign of the impact. Possibly, but Im not convinced of that.

My point is, 17000 DIFFERENT people have not viewed this thread.

There have been lots of good points made here and most of you have presented your views in a proffesional manner.

So........ at the risk of becoming even MORE loathed...... LOL....... Im going to lock the thread. Which in turn kinda defers to both sides of the argument. The thread stays, but slowly will move down the column and into the archives where it will see less attention and way less views.

Oh....and by the way, those of you who kept posting that the thread should be removed, well, of course you know that by posting your comment you keep the thread active and at the top of the forum....where it gets MORE views....

Your request would have been best served by PMing the author of the thread who could then request for me to delete it if he so chose to ask me to do so.

I realize this is a secluded, tough to reach area for the most part and requires quite a bit of dedication to reach, but then again wasnt all of California at one time?

Most of all, I really admire and appreciate all of you who IMO are looking out for the fishery and trying to educate others. Well done!

Thanks for the discussion fellas. It was a good one.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011