Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Cardiff 300a question

Default Cardiff 300a question

with any of my other reels (spinning and casting), when i tighten down the drag ALL THE WAY, there is no give before the line breaks. with my Cardiff, there is still a bit of give even when i tighten down the drag all the way. is this normal for this reel?

When you button down tight, on most reels there should be no, to very little slippage...
    There is a STACK of items that are put under pressure when you tighten down...
    Very little slippage is OK..... But if its not enough to match the rated drag pressure, something is missing in that STACK.
    Probably a washer, they get left out when serviced by ??? & when assembled new also....

I have a Corvalus 300 (almost the same reel).. It has slippage when cranked down tight, but that is close to the rated drag... Also more then I will probably ever use on it...

Thanks. I checked out the Max Drag for the 300a and it is 10 lbs. Don't have any other reels nearby to compare it to so I can't check if it's a mechanical defect or just how it's supposed to be. I'm guessing it's how it's supposed to be, but all my other "barrel" reels are heavier duty so they have much more drag.

Well younever mentioned what line you spooled it with. If you're using 10lb+, of course it's not going to break. Personally, I replace all my drags with carbontex. Cheap and a huge inprovement for any reel.

CKK Is right! Most of my reels (Especially Umbrella Rig trolling reels) have Carbontex....

They are only like $10 and maybe 10min to replace...

It's spooled with 10 lb. right now, but I was thinking of swapping that with some 50 lb. braid. I think I'm going to replace the drag with Carbontex. Sounds like a good modification. Thanks for the suggestion.