Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparable reel to a Curado 201e7 but slower

As mentioned the MG 50 is a great little reel, as it the Sol. They dont make the Chonarch MG50 anymore, its been replaced by the Core, which are great little reels. The Calcutta 50 is a great little finesse reel too
    Nessie has a very solid point. Ball bearings need to be placed right to do anything. You can get reels with 8 bearing, but only half of them will be placed where it really matters, inside the reel. The other four might be used in the handles. There is a lot that dictates how a reel casts, as said above. So you can get a Shimano Citica E with 5 bearings, and it will cast better than an $80 reel with 8 bearings, because the bearings used are of higher quality and are better placed. If you have a good, educated casting thumb, skill can make up for the differences in casting issues. But still, generally the more you are wiling to spend, the better casting on a reel.

Ive never found the need for ARB bearing in strict freshwater use. If you maintain your reels, and oil the bearings and clean the reel once or twice a year, they will be fine. If you plan to fish the salt too, by all means the ARB and similiar bearings are crucial.If you take to the time to work on your reel, you''ll find aftermarket drag and bearing upgrades are fairly cheap and easy, compared to buying a new reel once things start to fall apart.

I personally fish 1/4oz dropshot and below on spinning. All the mentioned casting reels have smooth drags, and they can be even smoother with a Carbontex upgrade. But I like lower startup I get with a spinning reel, the small casting reels just can't do it for dropshot and the like for me
    Last edited by dockboy; 01-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12