Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks to cover alot of water from shore

Default Tricks to cover alot of water from shore

The first one is done with a little help from mother nature"wind" and is simple and consists of a spare spool of line, a clip on swivel and a paper plate.
    Simply puncture a small hole on the paper plates edge as far in as possible then clip on the swivel and tie to a spare spool.
    Next you place the plate in the water with your choice of bait or lure on it and let the wind take your bait-lure across the lake as far as you want it to go by removing line with your hand from your pole-reel and from the spare spool giving slack for the plate to be carried away by the wind.
    Then simply pull your lure off the plate then retrieve the plate and fish away..

The second one is really easy and only requires that it be done at a lakes bend and that there is open shoreline around you.
    Find a spot on the shoreline that is clear of brush and place your bait or lure on the ground with the line going into the water then simply walk the lakes bend while free spooling line into the water along the shore as you walk untill you are on the opposite side of the lake then raise your rod and with a few good swings the slack of line along the shoreline will straighten out and bait or lure will be pulled into the water with your retrieve going across parts of the lake you could not cast to and that then also puts your bait or lure in deeper unfished water.
    GOODLUCK......FISHBONES

I really like the first idea. I would be interested to try it with a styrofoam plate. I would just have to make sure I retrieve it.

Another idea is to get into distance casting. I have dreamed about this and while not the most practical it does sound fun, in a way. If you use lures 3/4 to 3 oz you could get a good surf casting rod (10-11') with a spinning reel (i.e. http://breakawayusa.com/shop/rods.htm). The reel has a longer spool (to reduce the depth of line released from the spool) and shorter spool lip than regular ones (to reduce friction). I believe it is best to use heavy braided or firewire line as the diameter is much smaller than mono (match the diameter of the mono you would have used). Attach a Breakaway Cannon to keep the bail from closing while casting and a finger guard to hold the line while casting. There are the aerodynamics of the lure to consider, etc. Finally, you must learn the proper casting techniques (i.e. the overhead cast, off the ground cast, ground cast, pendulum cast, Hatteras cast, etc.) Achieving casts of 100-150 yards is not uncommon with practice. You basically need to find a field to practice on and measure your distance.

For example:

- Daiwa Tournament SS Spinning Reel
    - Shimano Sustain® FE Spinning Reel
    - Daiwa Emcast Plus
    * Daiwa Emblem Pro Spinning Reels *

If you are going to use heavier lures in the 3-5 or 4-8oz range (which seems unlikely for freshwater, at least to me) you would use a conventional casting reel with a good 12-13' surf casting rod (i.e. http://breakawayusa.com/shop/rods.htm) loaded with mono line. With this setup a cast of 150+ yards could easily be achieved and 200 yards is also within the realm of reality.

Reel:

- Penn 525Mag (You could change out the stainless steel bearings for special ceramic bearings to increase distance).

Apparently this is a sport in and of itself on the east coast and south around Texas and Florida. I have not heard much about it in southern California. The only thing I can think of is that most of our fish in the ocean must be closer to shore and we do not have as many of the big fish between 100-250 yards from shore.

This may not be practical but I like to think of new ways to push the limits.

Since many of us use spinning reels already why not get one that is a little more gear towards a longer cast such as the Daiwa Tournament SS Spinning Reel which is fairly inexpensive yet rugged instead of the reels that are short with a huge lip on them?

There is a forum dedicated to this subject (distance casting):
    http://pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum...splay.php?f=11

Anyways, back to our regular programming...

Someday.... Someday....

----------------

Of course you could just get a float tube...
    Last edited by sawoobley; 01-21-2010 at 05:58 PM.

They all sounds fine, but just to let you know a lot of potential concerned citizens would be pretty upset to see somebody fishing with paper plates or Styrofoam plates. I know I'd have to give it a 2nd look to make sure nothing bad was going on, maybe even approach and ask..

I might suggest using a small balloon, should be the same effects if you're fishing off the wind, the plate would be better if you could get it partially submerged for fishing current.

Just an idea,
    ~Rakie

Balloons work great with a paper clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
    They all sounds fine, but just to let you know a lot of potential concerned citizens would be pretty upset to see somebody fishing with paper plates or Styrofoam plates. I know I'd have to give it a 2nd look to make sure nothing bad was going on, maybe even approach and ask..

I might suggest using a small balloon, should be the same effects if you're fishing off the wind, the plate would be better if you could get it partially submerged for fishing current.

Just an idea,
    ~Rakie
    ballons sounds good

So after a little R&D i came up with... a frisbee, its thickness allows for a 1/8" hole to be drilled that the swivel will lock to and that will keep it safely from the bottom unlike a plate where it could rip off or it doesnt look like your throwing trash in the water.
    The reason im using a frisbee is because you can put a wide range of things on it from flyline baits and plastics or light lures like a crappie jig or rooster tail.
    The ballon idea sounds like it would have problems like you couldnt use anything floating like a rapala cuz it would pop it and if the ballon would twist in its journey it might tangle the lines and my opinion is the paper clip would most likely have release issues as well.
    Last edited by Fishbones; 01-24-2010 at 11:49 PM.

ive used a potato cannon to cast bait FAR (in massachusetts) you put the bait into this little capsul. load it up open your bail and "cast away" easy 200 yards

I saw some guy at Glen Helen catch one using a remote controled toy boat. I was wondering, is that legal? Does it count as a second rod on your stamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I saw some guy at Glen Helen catch one using a remote controled toy boat. I was wondering, is that legal? Does it count as a second rod on your stamp?
    there are alot of different r/c fishing boats out there starting from $30.00 to $2,000 dollars and i found it cheaper and better to build my own and will soon....
    ...im currently purchasing parts to build a 18" R/C boat with a Humminbird RF25 built in and outrigger pole with release clip to troll with....i cant wait to have all the parts and start the build..

Unfortunately, as with many other things in CA, the potato canon (Spud Gun) is illegal. Too bad. It really is a fun idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast