Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help for a beginner in bass fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
    A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.

I mean, half the time the bass around here are in the 2lbs range, sure they get hefty but odds are you're gonna land a lot more 2lbs bass than 10lbs bass.

Id go with a nice simple spinning rod, 4-12# rod using a reel (hopefully with two spools) one with 6# test, another spool with 8# or maybe 10# for throwing lures.

I think that would give you the most versatility, and I think that's what you really need when you're looking for a 1 rod / 1 reel (2 spool) solution.

Good luck, lots of choices out there. I prefer shimano rods to shimano reels.

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie
    bingo!

oh and you you could have one rod and one reel, as a beginner..

spinning
    reel: shimano sonora or sahara 2500 size
    rod: shimano sojourn sjs-70m2 line wt. 6-14# length 7'0 lure wt. 1/4-3/4 oz.

the whole setup you can get for around 60-75 dollars. its very affordable but very effective! for the size of fish you will be targeting, that setup should work just fine. hell, honestly, it is my favorite setup. the great thing about shimano reels, is that i believe they still include 2 spools with the sonora and sedona models, and you can find last years model of the reels online for 25 bucks sometimes!
    Last edited by Alexi; 01-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Dang Guy View Post
    Some of you guys are missing the point. The OP is asking for advice for two rods, one spinning and one casting. Limiting yourself to two casting rods or two spinning rods reduces your verstatility by leaps and bounds.
    Actually, he's not. He's asking if he could only have ONE rod and ONE reel, which to get. You've misread his post, he was just asking about TWO DIFFERENT rods, that doesn't mean he wants to buy two rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Bassman View Post
    I've been bass fishing for 12 years and I can honestly say that there is no one type of rod, spinning or casting, that can do everything. With more and more rod manufacturers turning their focus more on "technique specific" rods, neither spinning or casting has a great advantage over the other. For example, my dropshot rod works great for fishing a dropshot, split shot, and shakey heads. But there is no way I will be able to fish a Carolina rig with a 3/4oz. weight or more effectively with this rod. Likewise, my 7'MH rod I use for medium - deep diving cranks, Carolina rigs, jigs, and spinner baits does really well fishing these techniques. However, it will not cast a light dropshot or split shot very far with any accuracy.
    You misread my post.. Because you just agreed with me and strengthened my point. The only thing you disagree with was which thing we suggested he picked up.

I'm not sure how you misread my post so much.. You literally said everything I said, while saying I was wrong. Reread it more carefully, sure I think you can get away with a little more than you can. (IE, if you brought your crankbait rod ONLY, and you tried to use some other method with it, I said the fisherman can adapt, you make it sound like they cant)

One thing to keep in mind is this guy is a beginner. And odds are he'll be doing a lot more light line presentations than heavy line fishing (throwing lures). I've suggested things that are basic and can handle most situations he'll encounter in so cal.

And you can trust me. I had an extremely wide variety of baitcasting rods and setups, and through almost 20 years of fishing experience in fresh water I've come to find I could manage almost all of it with spinning gear. Even my saltwater experience with our boat from Yellowtail to Surf fishing, I use more baitcasting ~ But I still use a lot of spinning outfits.

Why do 'bass fisherman' (And by that, I mean guys who ONLY fish bass) seem to feel spinning rods are so weak ? Or, that bass are so strong ? Sure they're a fun fish, but I've caught bait that fights harder than large mouth bass.

~Rakie.
    Last edited by Rakie; 01-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Why do 'bass fisherman' (And by that, I mean guys who ONLY fish bass) seem to feel spinning rods are so weak ? Or, that bass are so strong ? Sure they're a fun fish, but I've caught bait that fights harder than large mouth bass.
    Spinning gear is just not that accurate and you can use heavier line and lures, etc. with baitcasting gear with no problems. I don't only bass fish but I just see baitcasting gear a lot better suited for most kinds of fishing as long as the fish are good size, unless you are using finesse presentations, then I would go with spinning any day. Go catch a big bass and tell me how it fights, lol. Then you won't say they are not strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Spinning gear is just not that accurate and you can use heavier line and lures, etc. with baitcasting gear with no problems. I don't only bass fish but I just see baitcasting gear a lot better suited for most kinds of fishing as long as the fish are good size, unless you are using finesse presentations, then I would go with spinning any day. Go catch a big bass and tell me how it fights, lol. Then you won't say they are not strong.
    Go catch a tuna and tell me how a bass fights.. lol.

The biggest bass I've caught was shy of 7 lbs, got him on 6# test. Not the biggest bass, I know. But I've landed 20# yellowtail on 12# test. You could argue there is less cover and all that jazz, sure. But the way I see it is this.

You guys are using industrial power tools to catch bait.

Spinning gear is just not that accurate
    that depends on one thing only......the skill of the fisherman

12 lb test is not heavy for a baitcaster. 10 and 12 lb are the minimum for most people when using baitcasters, lol. You are probably going to end up with problems with 6 lb test on a baitcaster. I heard that it digs into itself and backlashes are very hard to get out with light line! Believe me, when you hook into a big bass, you are going to want that 12 lb test, haha. I would definitely go with 6, 8, or 10 (10 as the absolute most) for a spinning reel.
    It depends, I've fished a pro am tourney up at Clear Lake. I had 15 lb. floro on my jig stick, 8-10 lb. floro on a shakeyhead/dropshot spinning rod, and 10 lb. floro on my crankin rod and was whackin bass up to 8 lbs. But since my home lake is Castaic and I mostly fish these clear deep reservoirs, I've had to scale down. I use 5 or 6 lb on my dropshot rod. 6 or 8 lb on my crankbait rod. and 8 lb on my jig stick. I'd probably scale up in the summer as there is a lot of weed growth at the lagoon.

Also, I think I agree with Rakie, If you're new to bass fishing a spinning combo will catch you a lot of fish in socal reservoirs. Theres been so many times I've had to pick up my spinning rod just to get a bite. But if you're set on gettin a baitcaster, think about what you're mostly gonna use it for. I like a softer rod (medium/medium light) for crankin and a stiffer rod(medium heavy/heavy) for senkos, jigs, carolina rigs (3/4-1oz sinker for deep water). Hope this helps and good luck with your bass fishing ventures. You're gonna love the frustration and the payoff. That's why I love this sport so much.

Go catch a tuna and tell me how a bass fights.. lol.

The biggest bass I've caught was shy of 7 lbs, got him on 6# test. Not the biggest bass, I know. But I've landed 20# yellowtail on 12# test. You could argue there is less cover and all that jazz, sure. But the way I see it is this.

You guys are using industrial power tools to catch bait.
    Yes, but I am sure the tuna were bigger than any bass every caught, lol. Yes, there is less cover and everything for them to go break you off in so sometimes you need to horse them in. Catching a 20 lb yellowtail is different than catching a 20 lb bass because they get very obese at a certain point. I don't know how yellowtail fight though, but I have heard they fight a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    that depends on one thing only......the skill of the fisherman
    Try and be accurate with spinning gear and then try baitcasting gear. You will definitely be able to cast more accurately with the baitcasting gear, even though you can still be accurate with spinning gear, you can just enhance that accuracy with baitcasting gear.

A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.

I mean, half the time the bass around here are in the 2lbs range, sure they get hefty but odds are you're gonna land a lot more 2lbs bass than 10lbs bass.

Id go with a nice simple spinning rod, 4-12# rod using a reel (hopefully with two spools) one with 6# test, another spool with 8# or maybe 10# for throwing lures.

I think that would give you the most versatility, and I think that's what you really need when you're looking for a 1 rod / 1 reel (2 spool) solution.

Good luck, lots of choices out there. I prefer shimano rods to shimano reels.

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie

I agree spinning reels are more versatile, 2 spools, most are not hogs.

Lightlines.
    Last edited by Lightline; 01-24-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    A spinning reel with 6lb braid and a medium powered 6'8"-7'2" rod.

Wait what?

I don't use braid for spinning reels, unless I'm fishing heavy cover or throwin lures at the duct,,,

Braid for baitcasters, I'll use em for crankbaits, and swimbaits....

I suggest you start off with a Citica 200E and a 7' MH Fast Shimano Clarus. That would be the good all purpose, I'd still opt for a longer rod,7'3", 7'4" or 7'6" MH and have a longer sweep when setting the hook. 2 setups will be better than one! Get 1 spinning and one casting...

My fav setups:
    My Baitcasting Rod is a 7'6" MH Crucial with a Citica 200E.
    Spinning is a 7'3" Carrot Stix and Daiwa Sol 2500.

You don't have to spend that much money, but stick with a Shimano Rod, they have Lifetime Warranties... If they ever break, you'll usually get a brand new for free; no questions asked,,, :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast