Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help for a beginner in bass fishing

A spinning reel with 6lb braid and a medium powered 6'8"-7'2" rod.

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    I use 10lb Flouro.... Or 30lb braid, but i dont like braid too much because it's not too sensitive...
    Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by Tora View Post
    I want to get started in bass fishing and was wondering what the best all purpose setup (rod and reel) would be. I was looking at the St. Croix Premier Series Trigger rod in the 6'6" or the St. Croix Mojo Bass Trigger in the 6'8" paired with a Shimano Curado or Citica Low Profile baitcast reel.... I'm sorry but I'm a beginner at this and want one good setup that can be used for a lot of stuff. I really like St Croix rods and Shimano reels. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
    i think you're right on track with a six and a half to seven foot medium or medium heavy baitcast setup as far as all around bass setup. i'd suggest 10lb. monofilament (maybe berkeley big game- its good for the price) and try to throw maybe 1/2 oz. lures until you get the casting figured out (lighter ones take a bit more skill). maybe your second setup could be a medium spinning setup for six pound and dropshotting and whatnot. i like the premier and mojo series rods BTW, and the citica is a great reel for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
    A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.
    I'd like to think that I'm hunting hogs everytime my bait hits the water.

;-)

Plus, itd be a tad hard to fish a 3/4 oz jig, a Norman DD-22, a carolina rig, and countless other presentations with just a spinning reel.

If the original poster is inquiring about a multi-species freshwater rod, I can see steering them towards a spining reel.

But IMHO, you'll be limiting yourself with getting a spinning rod, especially if you want to become serious about fishing for the largemouth trout eater.

4. Default

My two cents-I've been bass fishing for at least 5 years+ and I've only used a spinning reel/rod setup. No baitcaster here.

Keep in mind that I mostly throw lightweight stuff, biggest swimbait I have isn't only 4 inches...heh

SPINNING REEL:for lighter line,high wind,targeting smaller fish,using smaller lures
    BAITCASTER: for targeting larger fish,to control your cast,fish larger line&lures

Im not saying you cant fish 4-6lb on a baitcaster cuz you can and i have. Baitcaster you can thumb the spool to cast accurately into the smallest of holes
    and it seems that the baitcasters spool when casted feeds the line out instead of a spinning reel where there is line drag from the spool.
    A spinning reel will cast farther easier in high wind than a baitcaster will.
    even the pros with the expensive gear will get a backlash every now and then in high wind.

you almost have to have both .....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I'd like to think that I'm hunting hogs everytime my bait hits the water.

;-)

Plus, itd be a tad hard to fish a 3/4 oz jig, a Norman DD-22, a carolina rig, and countless other presentations with just a spinning reel.

If the original poster is inquiring about a multi-species freshwater rod, I can see steering them towards a spining reel.

But IMHO, you'll be limiting yourself with getting a spinning rod, especially if you want to become serious about fishing for the largemouth trout eater.
    I've gotta say I disagree with all points.

First off, if you can't fish a Carolina rig with a spinning outfit, you've got some problems.. Any presentation can easily be made with a spinning or casting setup. That being said, I believe baitcasting rods are more limiting than spinning rods. Spinning rods are sorta designed to be 'all purpose', which makes more advanced fisherman scoff at them, however not many people look at a baitcasting rod and say "WOW, this would be great for anything!" they say "this would be great for crankbaits" or "Too stiff to dropshot with, but it would be great for ____", etc etc. Baitcasting rods are designed to do specific things, sure, you can do about anything with any type of rod, baitcasting included.

But I honestly feel spinning outfits are more versatile ~ My spinning rod collection is a few, my baitcasting rods were around 10 ~ All for very different and specific things / situations.

I feel what you're saying, and I'm not calling you out or anything like that. I just humbly disagree :)

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie.

First off, if you can't fish a Carolina rig with a spinning outfit, you've got some problems.. Any presentation can easily be made with a spinning or casting setup. That being said, I believe baitcasting rods are more limiting than spinning rods. Spinning rods are sorta designed to be 'all purpose', which makes more advanced fisherman scoff at them, however not many people look at a baitcasting rod and say "WOW, this would be great for anything!" they say "this would be great for crankbaits" or "Too stiff to dropshot with, but it would be great for ____", etc etc. Baitcasting rods are designed to do specific things, sure, you can do about anything with any type of rod, baitcasting included.

But I honestly feel spinning outfits are more versatile ~ My spinning rod collection is a few, my baitcasting rods were around 10 ~ All for very different and specific things / situations.

I feel what you're saying, and I'm not calling you out or anything like that. I just humbly disagree :)

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie.
    I don't think you understand what Carolina rig he's talking about.
    Can't fish DD22 on spinning gear.
    Personally, there are few things I can't do with my medium casting setup and this includes UL and heavy lures. Casting setups IMO are more of a pleasure to fish than spinning gear. There is a casting setup for 95% of bass fishing techniques whereas spinning gear can only handle 50%. But of course, this is all JMO.

The only reason I recommended spinning gear is because the OP seems to be new to bass fishing and catching solid bass on the DS ans shakeyhead is a good way to begin. But of course, this is all JMO.

Some of you guys are missing the point. The OP is asking for advice for two rods, one spinning and one casting. Limiting yourself to two casting rods or two spinning rods reduces your verstatility by leaps and bounds.

A 1000 size reel with 6 lbs and a casting reel with 8lbs or 10 will get you a LOOOONG way. You have remember we're looking for maximum potential. This means you're looking for middle of the road gear. You won't be able to throw heavy swimbaits or the UL stuff with either rod.

Spinning-
    Handles drop shot, small weightless flukes, shakey heads, iichi jigs, wacky rigs, texas rigs, small cranks.
    6'6''-7'2'' M. XFast. Don't go less than an M. The lure range gets too light to be versatile. Think finesse. (Go to rod for me)

Casting-
    Handles large weightless plastics (Senkos, Ikas, grubs, flukes,), carolina rigs (deep water 3/4-1oz), football jigs, crankbaits (>1/4oz), spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and topwater.

6'6''-6'8''. M-MH. Fast action. I like a slightly heavier rod for these applications, but an M is okay as well. That extra backbone for setting the hook through soft plastics help. It also gives you move initial moving power to get fish away from cover. The shorter rod will be less of an issue when working tip down applications (topwater and jerkbaits) when working from shore. Don't muscle fish too much when using treble hooks, you risk pulling hooks with the faster action.

I tend lean towards mid-high priced gear, so I'll let everyone else chime in about what rods/reels to use. But! Between the citica and the curado, get the citica. You're aiming for heavier applications with the casting rod. The benefits of the curado become more apparent when you're throwing lighter stuff.

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie.
    I've been bass fishing for 12 years and I can honestly say that there is no one type of rod, spinning or casting, that can do everything. With more and more rod manufacturers turning their focus more on "technique specific" rods, neither spinning or casting has a great advantage over the other. For example, my dropshot rod works great for fishing a dropshot, split shot, and shakey heads. But there is no way I will be able to fish a Carolina rig with a 3/4oz. weight or more effectively with this rod. Likewise, my 7'MH rod I use for medium - deep diving cranks, Carolina rigs, jigs, and spinner baits does really well fishing these techniques. However, it will not cast a light dropshot or split shot very far with any accuracy. If I had to choose one setup in my arsenal that will do most of the techniques that I fish, I would have to go with the Kistler He2MHC69 with a Shimano Chronarch 100MG spooled with 8lb. test Seaguar Carbon Pro fluorocarbon. If the original poster wants to really make sure that he's got all the bases covered, and this is just my opinion, he should get a 7'M action spinning rod and a 7'MH action casting rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Bassman View Post
    If the original poster wants to really make sure that he's got all the bases covered, and this is just my opinion, he should get a 7'M action spinning rod and a 7'MH action casting rod.
    And I agree with your opinion! =D

Used is a great way to get into a rod as well. Shimano has a fantastic warranty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast