Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help for a beginner in bass fishing

Default Need help for a beginner in bass fishing

I want to get started in bass fishing and was wondering what the best all purpose setup (rod and reel) would be. I was looking at the St. Croix Premier Series Trigger rod in the 6'6" or the St. Croix Mojo Bass Trigger in the 6'8" paired with a Shimano Curado or Citica Low Profile baitcast reel.... I'm sorry but I'm a beginner at this and want one good setup that can be used for a lot of stuff. I really like St Croix rods and Shimano reels. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

i would advise a 6'6"-7' rod with a curado 200 or 100 if you can find one with 6lb izor xxx. ive done everything with this setup. D/S, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, t-rig, c-rig, flyline senkos and ikas. i even use it to fish the bay but i use a different reel. brand of rod is a personal choice but i like shimano rods or diawa. to this day i use a shimano convergence rod and a corvalus 200 for almoast everything. the main thing is get a MEDIUM action rod with a fast taper. this will give you some back bone with the tip being soft enough to throw flylined baits or to fish a spinnerbait.

Powell 703 CEF or something similar. You can also use a 702 if u want something a tad lighter.

In a pinch, my 703 has thrown a bunch of different baits in various situations and is a great all around rod in this age of technique specific marketing.

For an all purpose baitcaster, I would go with a a 7 foot, medium-heavy power, fast action rod and then just about any low profile baitcaster spooled with 12 lb test copolymer or fluorocarbon line. As for a spinning setup, probably a 7 foot, medium power, fast action, then a good 2500 size reel with 8 or 10 lb test. Just my .

The Mojo Bass series of rods are awesome and Shimano Citicas are pretty nice.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 01-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.

damn 12lb tst? i dont ever go above 8lb and i only use that when throwing LC's for halibut or using ikas. other than that i havent broken off a fish on 6lb.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    damn 12lb tst? i dont ever go above 8lb and i only use that when throwing LC's for halibut or using ikas. other than that i havent broken off a fish on 6lb.
    12 lb test is not heavy for a baitcaster. 10 and 12 lb are the minimum for most people when using baitcasters, lol. You are probably going to end up with problems with 6 lb test on a baitcaster. I heard that it digs into itself and backlashes are very hard to get out with light line! Believe me, when you hook into a big bass, you are going to want that 12 lb test, haha. I would definitely go with 6, 8, or 10 (10 as the absolute most) for a spinning reel.

I fish 8 or 10 on my baitcasters. I wish i was ballsy enough to go to 6, but i dont wanna break off that DD.
    For spincasting im a finesse kind of person using 4 or 6 (or 4 lbs diameter braid but 10 lbs strength)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    12 lb test is not heavy for a baitcaster. 10 and 12 lb are the minimum for most people when using baitcasters, lol. You are probably going to end up with problems with 6 lb test on a baitcaster. I heard that it digs into itself and backlashes are very hard to get out with light line! Believe me, when you hook into a big bass, you are going to want that 12 lb test, haha. I would definitely go with 6, 8, or 10 (10 as the absolute most) for a spinning reel.

I use 10lb Flouro.... Or 30lb braid, but i dont like braid too much because it's not too sensitive...

Default Thanks

Thank you to everyone who's replied to this thread. It's ALL very useful information and i love it! I know its probably best to get a baitcaster setup and a spinning reel setup so both info is very helpful! The info about what line to use is helpful too. I've mainly been fishin for trout and the whole bass fishing thing is new to me but I really wanna get into it. Thanks again.

A lot of guys use baitcasters but, I really don't see a reason unless you're throwing Castaic lures and hunting 'hogs.

I mean, half the time the bass around here are in the 2lbs range, sure they get hefty but odds are you're gonna land a lot more 2lbs bass than 10lbs bass.

Id go with a nice simple spinning rod, 4-12# rod using a reel (hopefully with two spools) one with 6# test, another spool with 8# or maybe 10# for throwing lures.

I think that would give you the most versatility, and I think that's what you really need when you're looking for a 1 rod / 1 reel (2 spool) solution.

Good luck, lots of choices out there. I prefer shimano rods to shimano reels.

Tight lines,
    ~Rakie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast