Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mini jigging rods

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Angry Agent,

Actually time for fishing is limited give my responsibilities but if you ever head up this way, I'll meet you somewhere. So what I do is build as I can do it in small spurts of time. I'm not looking to sell any rods by the way as I realize that I rather build for pleasure than be under the gun. I did not enjoy the pressure of having to build a number of rods in the past months with time pressure. This way, I build whatever I want. Just enjoy showing stuff to enthusiasts. ( May sell blanks in time but that's a different discussion.) I think you'll enjoy it based on my reading your posts. Basically I started with a blank sheet and designed what I thought I'd like from how the guides are configured, the look, to the handle design. It ended up being perfectly balanced and lighter than I ever thought possible though there's no minimizing of any ergonomics for the sake of weight. Casting distance, sensitivity etc is all superb. It is fast action however so it won't work for those who want slow action.

UL
    I am always interested in seeing someone else's works, I can't wait! I love fast action rods as most of the action I produce with my rods is made by movement from my arm more then the rod tip. I like the sensitivity of faster action. Where are you located?

PM coming your way.

UL

I'm lost. I am very interested in a longer rod than 7 feet ... specifically for casting mini-jigs which I some limited experience. (I'm still wondering how to cast something 1/32 and get any distance ... particularly without using a split shot or a bubble).

If price is not the problem ... which should I get. All the rods I use are GLooms ... and there newest rod is only 7'6" and it just seems like the butt is longer. I aleady have a 7 footer ... maybe that's enough? My pea brain thinks what is above the reel and my hand is what the determining length actually is.

As a side note, I live about 45 minutes from Reno which is where I would probably have to go ... or else wait for my next trip to LA and go down to Rosemead. I'm open to having a custom made. It seems like I ought to get at least an 8 footer or more.

Default Tried the rest

Try Shimanos Compre Series rods.They have alll the lengths, actions and weights for your jigging needs. All for around a benjamin, with a lifetime warranty. No one else in the industry can touch that. Best bang for your peso!!!!!! Imo

except phenix who has a $50 rod exchange if you break it. shimano is getting really strict on replacing rods and fixing reels. billy if cost isnt an option pm angry agent and see if he can hook you up with his rod wraper for a Sage custom wraped blank. that is one of the lightest rods ive ever felt. sensitive and strong, but i do have to warn you. Sage blanks usualy START at around 300-350$$. so with titanium guides and a tennesee handle, probly around $500. but it is the best money can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I'm lost. I am very interested in a longer rod than 7 feet ... specifically for casting mini-jigs which I some limited experience. (I'm still wondering how to cast something 1/32 and get any distance ... particularly without using a split shot or a bubble).

If price is not the problem ... which should I get. All the rods I use are GLooms ... and there newest rod is only 7'6" and it just seems like the butt is longer. I aleady have a 7 footer ... maybe that's enough? My pea brain thinks what is above the reel and my hand is what the determining length actually is.

As a side note, I live about 45 minutes from Reno which is where I would probably have to go ... or else wait for my next trip to LA and go down to Rosemead. I'm open to having a custom made. It seems like I ought to get at least an 8 footer or more.
    What model is your 7 footer? Are you good at casting? There are a few tricks that you can use to help you flip a 1/32nds ounce jig into oblivion. I like to use the 2-handed casting technique very similiar to casting surface iron on a boat. It helps the rod load up a bit better and gets more distance on your cast overall, it also helps you cast straighter if you have any problem in that area as well.

You'll be fine with a 7 footer as that is the standard in general depending on the model. I like to say that if you're serious about jig fishing then you could buy a custom wrap and spend some real loot but I would recommend buying something cheaper for the moment to insure that this is what you want to do. You can't go wrong with the Daiwa Spinmatic series for $40.00 as a starter rod to see if you're serious about jig fishing. We just got some new rods in the Longfin the other day that are great for jigging and kind of in the middle price wise as well at around $150.00. I forgot what they're called already but I will check it out for you if you're interested.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Vanillagurilla for the shout out.

IF you are interested in a Sage jigging stick PM me but they're not cheap by any means.

I think Angry Agent observed that for UL jigs, 7' 6" may be the max castings distance beyond which there's no gain. I think it may possibly be even shorter - depending on the action of the rod.

A guy I know with $600 valued GLX custom rod at 7' 6" that he was absolutely confident was the best performing rod he's ever had. It was his pride and joy and truly a nice rod built by one of the best builder in So CA. (Great guy too.) So he loaded up both my 7' and his longer Loomis GLX with 1/64th jig. This test is really loaded to the GLX's favor as it is lower in power and more parabolic, and thus more suited to the 1/64th. Well, they both cast exactly the same distance after multiple casts. That was a real surprise to me. So I think that 7 to 7' 6" is the sweet spot. I actually think 8' and beyond may start reducing casting distance IF you are using optimized rods. I'd love to have someone test their 8' or longer rods against my 7'. There is a LOT of invisible attributes that goes into a rod. I think every rod has to be built specifically to a specific reel for maximum performance. Once I lock in a rod design for a reel, I never use another reel with that rod. That is why a generic rod off the shelf, no matter how expensive, may not give the best performance. A LOT of what goes into performance is invisible to the eye, but you can feel it when you fish with it. That's where the fun of building comes in.

So yes, if you have the $ and can baby your rods, go with a custom. A caveat though. I've met some custom builders whose work was really not very good but they were very proud of it. One guy was visiting a nearby lake and was raving his work. I did not say much but there was no understanding of the technical aspects of performance in his builds. I'm not criticizing that builder as his rods were very affordable but in that case, I would actually take a factory build over his. So be careful - anyone can wrap a rod. If you are going to pay custom prices, take your time selecting someone really great who builds for your particular type of fishing.

Anyways, one more note on Kencors and other soft/heavy fiberglass rod. I have another buddy that really is a stand up guy and a great jig fisherman. He has a huge assortment of rods and note that although Kencors and fiberglass rods do have lower sensitivity, there are days when these rods impart a particular kind of movement to jigs that he cannot duplicate with graphite rods. Some days, his Kencor flat outfishes the graphite. He moves his fiberglass rods very differently from the graphite. Vice versa. So he uses both. Just a thought. For me, I just use really high performance graphite.

By the way, you would be surprised how far a 1/32 jig can beg cast with 2lb test, a good reel, and a good rod. Sometimes, distance matter. If a guy cast 100 ft. Another cast 122ft. The second guy is actually covering 50% more area. That's a huge advantage. There's been days in my lake where I'll catch a good number of fish at the edge of my casting distance where other guys are not reaching. I'm taking about metal lures where I just fling it out there.

Hope this helps.

UL

Default big THANKS for all the help y'all are trying to give me

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAgent View Post
    What model is your 7 footer? Are you good at casting? There are a few tricks that you can use to help you flip a 1/32nds ounce jig into oblivion. I like to use the 2-handed casting technique very similiar to casting surface iron on a boat. It helps the rod load up a bit better and gets more distance on your cast overall, it also helps you cast straighter if you have any problem in that area as well.

You'll be fine with a 7 footer as that is the standard in general depending on the model. I like to say that if you're serious about jig fishing then you could buy a custom wrap and spend some real loot but I would recommend buying something cheaper for the moment to insure that this is what you want to do. You can't go wrong with the Daiwa Spinmatic series for $40.00 as a starter rod to see if you're serious about jig fishing. We just got some new rods in the Longfin the other day that are great for jigging and kind of in the middle price wise as well at around $150.00. I forgot what they're called already but I will check it out for you if you're interested.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Vanillagurilla for the shout out.

IF you are interested in a Sage jigging stick PM me but they're not cheap by any means.
    I have a couple of SR841-2 - IMX ... and about 8 other shorter UL type GLooms 2 bass types ... the 841's are the 7 footers. Intersting that you suggest I try them out ... What would I be looking for? Are there any large outlets that might be near me ... Reno is 45 minutes away.

i found a line thats 3lb tst but comes in at .0036in.... normal 2lb is .005 for comparison. i can cast 1/3 further with the other line but the other line dosnt seem to have much strength if you lift a fish with the line or if it gets anykind of fray or wear. but it sure dose cast far and is very limp. kinda feels like hair haha.

I had actually taught about a fly rod wrapped into a spinning rod, as long term plan. Which of the sages would be better?
    -bb

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast