Quote Originally Posted by WaterBound View Post
I think many good points were made by everyone. A lot of things were clearly explained in a comprehensive manner.

Length in regards to casting distance is not a constant progression. The longer the rod the more force will be needed to move the extra weight. There is a point where the length will adversely affect casting distance. Otherwise the 20ft rods would be more common with modern materials, but they are not.

Another good point was brought up about the load of a rod. A rod will only transfer as much energy as it was designed to load and rebound. Extra force will not make a difference in the amount of force transferred.

In regards to blank weights. I have found different data. The Orvis Helios 8’6” 4wt is 1 1/8oz. The Sage Z-Axis 8’6” 4wt is 1 3/16oz. Maybe I have wrong data on the blanks. It just appears to me that Orvis is lighter in that specific rod class.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...4Pa38Ta38Qah90

Good find on those blank weights. Everything is right around the same ballpark on the higher end blanks as far as weight goes when you get into that $250.00 an up range. Thank you WaterBound.