Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini jigging rods

Default Mini jigging rods

helloo alll!

so im planning to do a "small" upgrade with my mini jig rod.
    and i know theres the Gloomis and the Phenix rods, BUT, those
    are too pricey for me at the moment so i was wondering if anybody
    has some suggestions on what rod i can purchase?

something no more than $100(if possible?! haha)
    and around 7'6 UL

thanks!

Daiwa spinmatic rods..... you can probably get 3 if youre lookin to spend about a bill. The HQ is in Cerritos and theyll replace the rod for you pretty much no hassle if it breaks. Theyre good for jiggin.

Quote Originally Posted by FishBandit View Post
    Daiwa spinmatic rods..... you can probably get 3 if youre lookin to spend about a bill. The HQ is in Cerritos and theyll replace the rod for you pretty much no hassle if it breaks. Theyre good for jiggin.

Ditto.....

Quote Originally Posted by FishBandit View Post
    hmm, i was thinking about the spinmatic, but i've read they dont last
    to long? btw, where in cerritos is The HQ at? or do they have an address?
    im not too far from cerritos so i might have to check it out!

theres not many inexpensive rods for mini jigging. the spinmatic is close. i have one and i thought it was good untill i got a phenix. now it feels to soft and not even close in sensitivity. but its a good rod for $40. they even replace broken rods i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    theres not many inexpensive rods for mini jigging. the spinmatic is close. i have one and i thought it was good untill i got a phenix. now it feels to soft and not even close in sensitivity. but its a good rod for $40. they even replace broken rods i believe.
    damn...i think i might just save up a little extra cash
    for a phenix!! ive hear nothing but good things about those rods and
    mini jigging.

just give them a call and ask if you could go down to the shop and check out some different rods. i have the 862 witch is 8'6" 2-8lb. great rod for mini jigging, worming and dropshotting. if you want to JUST mini jig or worm with very light weights i would go for the 861, its a 1-6lb rod so its a little softer in the action.

Quote Originally Posted by jmp_fishinn View Post
    damn...i think i might just save up a little extra cash
    for a phenix!! ive hear nothing but good things about those rods and
    mini jigging.
    A new line up is coming out soon that won't cost as much as the Elixirs, so you might not have to save up as much as you thought. I've got one of the prototypes, and they are definitely going to be good rods. Phenixs definitely worth the money. Mini jigging is the type of technique where the rod makes a huge difference because you need the correct taper/action and sensitivity.

VG pretty much got it in what to look for in the lineup. 802 or 862 if you're going for a more all around rod that can handle small cranks, the dropshot, or splitshotting heavier weights (little more backbone), and 761, 801, or 861 if you're going for pure mini jig. You'll see most guys mention longer rods because it's better for casting distance and you can impart a better action on the jig IMO with it.
    Last edited by bsp; 01-20-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    A new line up is coming out soon that won't cost as much as the Elixirs, so you might not have to save up as much as you thought. I've got one of the prototypes, and they are definitely going to be good rods. Phenixs definitely worth the money. Mini jigging is the type of technique where the rod makes a huge difference because you need the correct taper/action and sensitivity.

VG pretty much got it in what to look for in the lineup. 802 or 862 if you're going for a more all around rod that can handle small cranks, the dropshot, or splitshotting heavier weights (little more backbone), and 761, 801, or 861 if you're going for pure mini jig. You'll see most guys mention longer rods because it's better for casting distance and you can impart a better action on the jig IMO with it.
    thanks for the info bsp!

VG i pm'ed you.

Everyone keeps bringing this up and I keep saying the same thing. Here is a little of my experience on the subject. I have had 6 minijig rods and have to say it really comes down to personal preference. All of this is in regards to 2lb test line e.g. action & backbone.

If you use a slower action tip you will cast a light jig/plastic better. It will also create better action. Length makes a difference in the action, but more so on distance. I have seen plenty of guys with 6ft rods still kill them using the right action tip.

Now the pricier rods will not only have a slower action tip for casting and action, but a solid backbone/butt to back it up. A perfect example of this would be the Bass Pro Shop Wally Marshal Mity lite rod. I use an 11ft model. Now this rod has the backbone of the pricier rods, but the blank is also thicker and heavier. Also a little less sensitive. Not to mention the heavy EVA foam grips. At $45 I was happy with the price to performance trade offs. It included Bass Pro Shop warranty.

But the Pac Bays and Phenixs are going to of course be better because they are using more expensive materials and construction methods. Which still are not bad at all for the price to performance value they give you (unless you wrap your own rods).

Now when I go to the Sierras or remote places I bring my Rainshadow RX7 9ft 3wt rod wrapped by NIM Custom Rods for spinning/2lb. This is a true noodle rod in every sense of the word. It is very light and sensitive. The cork grips are contoured well to my palms. Can cast a powerworm weightless with ease. This rod gets me the most hookups I think because of the action it imparts.

Incidentally my friend Jacob has an old $20 fiberglass Bass Pro Shop rod (discontinued & I could not find it) that is a PERFECT noodle rod. So you might try to look into a long fiberglass noodle rod on the cheap. But these rods have NO BACKBONE for fighting the fish.

So decide what you prefer. Do you want a rod that is more likely to get more hookups with better action? Or nah you want a rod that has some beefy backbone for fighting the fish. Or maybe you are a moderate and prefer something with a good balance between the two. The pricier rods will do a better job of offering more of both worlds in a lighter package. So Good Luck.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast