Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jigs and Trailer Help!

remember to adjust the weight of your jigs to the depth and conditions you're fishing. At the larger reservoirs, this time of the month, I use 3/4 to 1oz jigs in darker colors. But for spawn I'm using a lighter 1/8-1/4 oz jig. Im also an avid user of the Bass Patrol jigs and trim the weed guard at least half, then I cut the rubber jigs skirts here and there to give it more action in the water. The trailer that I've been killing them on this season is the Yamamoto 5" DT Hula Grub with the double tail at the back of jig and the hula skirt mixed in with the jig skirt. I used to go with the normal Yamamato double tail grub but I find the Hula Grubs double tail gives the jig more action in the water.

buy skirts, rubberband and jigheads separately and tie your own jigs, saves a lot more money and you can create your own designs. It's also very simple you can tie a jig in less then 5 mins

Quote Originally Posted by FishEye View Post
    remember to adjust the weight of your jigs to the depth and conditions you're fishing. At the larger reservoirs, this time of the month, I use 3/4 to 1oz jigs in darker colors. But for spawn I'm using a lighter 1/8-1/4 oz jig. Im also an avid user of the Bass Patrol jigs and trim the weed guard at least half, then I cut the rubber jigs skirts here and there to give it more action in the water. The trailer that I've been killing them on this season is the Yamamoto 5" DT Hula Grub with the double tail at the back of jig and the hula skirt mixed in with the jig skirt. I used to go with the normal Yamamato double tail grub but I find the Hula Grubs double tail gives the jig more action in the water.
    I am going to buy one 1/4 oz jig, a couple 1/2 oz jigs, maybe a 3/8 oz jig and then one or two 3/4 oz jigs in brown colors. I am going to stick to a double tail grub instead of the hula grubs, but what size should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglerboi View Post
    buy skirts, rubberband and jigheads separately and tie your own jigs, saves a lot more money and you can create your own designs. It's also very simple you can tie a jig in less then 5 mins
    I was thinking about doing that, but I want to tie them and not use the rubber bands. I can't find any resources on how to tie them instead of using the rubber bands.

You can just coil up a paperclip around the skirt. Any type of metal wire will work. Wire doesn't deteriorate nearly as quickly as rubber.

Tying you own gives you the option of combining your own colors and heads. The only problem is finding a good source for leadheads otherwise the savings and quality doesn't much surpass the mass.

Sport Chalet carries fly tying materials. You can get a nice little bobbin for flies there. Then you get something like Gudebrod, a rod builders thread, size A. Its not too hard to find online. I use fine living rubber for skirts. Once you find it, a medium sized package ties a lot of jigs. As far as leadheads go, you can get them prepainted and its much easier. If you have the time, you could save a bit of money and buy unpainted, then coat with powder paint or vinyl jig paint. For you, it makes more sense to buy prepainted. Superglue holds the threads together just fine, done need much. But the Bass patrol are good jigs also. Once you open up the world of jig tying, you can make more and custom colors as mentioned, tho if you tied brown/black/green-olive you would be more than set IMO. And once you get going, you save a lot of money.

Here's a shop I use for jigheads:

http://www.elkenlures.com/

And here is where I get my living rubber:

http://www.lurecraft.com
    Last edited by dockboy; 02-02-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    Sport Chalet carries fly tying materials. You can get a nice little bobbin for flies there. Then you get something like Gudebrod, a rod builders thread, size A. Its not too hard to find online. I use fine living rubber for skirts. Once you find it, a medium sized package ties a lot of jigs. As far as leadheads go, you can get them prepainted and its much easier. If you have the time, you could save a bit of money and buy unpainted, then coat with powder paint or vinyl jig paint. For you, it makes more sense to buy prepainted. Superglue holds the threads together just fine, done need much. But the Bass patrol are good jigs also. Once you open up the world of jig tying, you can make more and custom colors as mentioned, tho if you tied brown/black/green-olive you would be more than set IMO. And once you get going, you save a lot of money.

Here's a shop I use for jigheads:

http://www.elkenlures.com/

And here is where I get my living rubber:

http://www.lurecraft.com
    I might try it out. I've always wanted to catch a fish on a lure I made myself, lol.

I am probably going to place my order on TW today.

Default Terminator Flippin and Finesse jigs

I have some brand new Terminator jigs for sale. I will give you a cheap deal if your interested. PM me if any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by AmBASSador View Post
    I have some brand new Terminator jigs for sale. I will give you a cheap deal if your interested. PM me if any interest.
    I don't think I am interested unless they have living rubber skirts.

Here is my order so far:

R2S Touch Down Jig Brown/Orange 3/4oz
    BP Football Jig Brown/Purple 1/4
    Plano Pro Latch Utility Box 3600
    Plano Pro Latch Utility Box 3650
    Sweet Beaver 4.20 Green Pumpkin Red
    Tiki Grass Craw 3" Watermelon Red Flk
    Bends Mender Deflator Needle
    NetBait Paca Chunk Green Pumpkin Red
    Elite Football Brown Wtrmln/red mylar 3/8
    V & M Mudbug 4" Watermelon Candy
    Double Tail Trailer Watrmln Red/Purp 4"
    Yama 4" Double Tail Grub Watermelon Bk & Red
    Pro Series Jigs Brown Purple Rubber 1/2
    Tiki Grass Craw 3" Green Pumpkin Red

What size should the double tail grubs be and are all my other selection good? Should I get the Yamamoto DT grubs or the Chompers DT grub. I don't really want 20 grubs so I kind of want to get the Chompers in a pack of 10, but I don't know if they are going to be as good.

I personally think Skinny Bear and Bass Patrol make good jigs for the money. I would stick with one brand in different sizes, and a few different colors to start. 1/4-3/4 should cover you just fine, if you need more you order more.
    As far as the sweet Beavers go, color is up to you. I like CA 40, Oxblood, Spring Break, Main Vein, Magic Craw, Hematoma, and Coonasty.Those are all I use, and ahve of them are flippin colors, so you oculd pare it down to about 3. I think you could start off with CA 420 (watermelon/red), Oxlbood, and one of the purplish colors (Main Vein, etc), a black color wouldnt be a bad idea either.
    As far a the double tails go, 5" is standard. I would order both 4" and 5" tho, sometimes a smaller profile is the key. Both in watermelon/black flake, cinnamon/black flake, indigo, black/blue (or black/blue flake), and cinnamon/black-purple flake isnt a bad idea. I think Ive ised the cinnamon/black more than any others, followed up by watermelon/black flake.
    The Tiki Craws are hard to beat for the price, try'em and let us know. If anything, they might do very well in summer grass as a flip bait.
    I have no info on the info on the Paca Craw cuz I havent fished it, but know people who do and like it, so there you go.
    Check out the Falcon jig boxes...best jig organizer by far.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast