Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jigs and Trailer Help!

Hey man try these
    verticallures.com
    Instead of just having a regular eye on the lure, the eye is completely hidden so it is 100% weedless. For clear water I like the more natural colors, like bayou craw.
    *Disclaimer I am on the prostaff*
    This work for deep cover? I been looking for a REAL weedless football jig...
    Last edited by dfisher; 01-28-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I'm just going to stick with plastics for now. I don't think I would like using the pork and it is kind of expensive compared to plastic.
    I'm gonna have to second the pork. Nothing beats pork and fur in the winter. A totally different kind of action. More movement and more volume.

Choice is up to you. Just suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    I'm gonna have to second the pork. Nothing beats pork and fur in the winter. A totally different kind of action. More movement and more volume.

Choice is up to you. Just suggesting.
    Is it messy or anything? I'm still debating on if I am going to get both pork and plastic or not. I have heard of this one pork that if it dries out, you can just stick it back in the water and it will rejuvenate itself. Anyone know which company makes that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Is it messy or anything? I'm still debating on if I am going to get both pork and plastic or not. I have heard of this one pork that if it dries out, you can just stick it back in the water and it will rejuvenate itself. Anyone know which company makes that one?
    Can be a bit smelly and messy, but since you're normally in a tube just rinse real quick. Kinda like pulling gulp baits out of a powerbait jar(that's how I keep mine).

I've not ever had one dry up because they come in a jar with liquid and whenever I finish using it, back it goes. Never been a problem. Smelly, yes. Messy, a bit. Successful, YES!

Forgot to mention that I'm talking about Uncle Josh porks. Never used any others. Come to think of it, never noticed another brand.
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 01-28-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: ...martians...

How heavy of line do you guys usually fish the jig on?

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Can be a bit smelly and messy, but since you're normally in a tube just rinse real quick. Kinda like pulling gulp baits out of a powerbait jar(that's how I keep mine).

I've not ever had one dry up because they come in a jar with liquid and whenever I finish using it, back it goes. Never been a problem. Smelly, yes. Messy, a bit. Successful, YES!

Forgot to mention that I'm talking about Uncle Josh porks. Never used any others. Come to think of it, never noticed another brand.
    I guess I will buy one jar of pork and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Agro View Post
    How heavy of line do you guys usually fish the jig on?
    I'm throwing jigs on 12 lb copoly right now, but I'm going to downsize to 8 or 10 lb fluorocarbon once I get a new baitcaster. The lake I fish is just too clear! I'd be interested to know what others throw their jigs on and what they recommend...

Uncle Josh is still a good brand. I like the Super Pork better, more bouyancy and what not, but yes, it is more expensive. But one pork trailer typically last quite a while. So that bottle of 6 for $8 will last you at least a couple months of fishing, but you have to get more once you figure in that you'll lose jigs, just part of fishing them where they need to be.
    Line varies. For open water and small jigs with open hooks, I fish 10lb flouro. Standard for fishing local lakes is 12-16lb flouro, on a good heavy stick. For flipping and pitching, I like at least 20lb. You can use braid, I find I get plenty of fish out of heavy tules just fine with 20-25lb flouro and a good stiff flippin stick.
    Once you really get into jigs, it pays to learn how to tie them. Give it a thought. You go from paying $2-3 dollars a jig to less than half a buck in many cases. You can get leadheads with great hooks in good quantities from many places, and you'll be able to get twice as many jigs out of the batch.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    Uncle Josh is still a good brand. I like the Super Pork better, more bouyancy and what not, but yes, it is more expensive. But one pork trailer typically last quite a while. So that bottle of 6 for $8 will last you at least a couple months of fishing, but you have to get more once you figure in that you'll lose jigs, just part of fishing them where they need to be.
    Line varies. For open water and small jigs with open hooks, I fish 10lb flouro. Standard for fishing local lakes is 12-16lb flouro, on a good heavy stick. For flipping and pitching, I like at least 20lb. You can use braid, I find I get plenty of fish out of heavy tules just fine with 20-25lb flouro and a good stiff flippin stick.
    Once you really get into jigs, it pays to learn how to tie them. Give it a thought. You go from paying $2-3 dollars a jig to less than half a buck in many cases. You can get leadheads with great hooks in good quantities from many places, and you'll be able to get twice as many jigs out of the batch.
    Should I stick with 12 lb test then? The water is really clear and right now I plan on open water, but in the spring I will be fishing in the weeds and near docks. I am probably going to change my line soon.

Yeah. 12lb is a good test. I have caught many good fish in deep, thick weedbeds with 12lb flouro. If its really thick you should bump up, but since the weedbeds wont get thick till May or so, 12lb is fine. If you are fishing a heavier jig, say 3/4oz on the upper lake in some of the heavier cover on the deeper structure, 14lb on a heavier rod is good.
    I fish a MH with a softer tip for 3/8-1/2oz jigs in relatively open or shallower water. I fish a 7' ex-heavy (Dobyns 705C) with 15lb flouro for jigs 3/4 and up. I think a good ex-fast MH with 12lb will fish 3/8-3/4oz at the goon just fine for you, and you can bump up to 14lb if need be. If you can't afford straight flouro, you might want to try using it as just a leader, say 5' or so. As long as you use a good connecting knot, it will be okay. The only time is drop down in line test is real tough conditions with small jigs. 1/4oz finesse jigs I tie on a Shimano Crucial 6'6" DS rod with 10lb flouro and a MG 50

I just bought 2 Bass Patrol jigs. Both 1/2 oz and one is brown/orange and the other one is brown/green pumpkin. I still need trailers though. I trimmed the weed-guard well on one of them, but on the other I trimmed it really poorly, lol. I'm thinking about cutting the weed-guard all the way off on the one that I trimmed poorly. I need some different trailers for them now though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast