Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jigs and Trailer Help!

Quote Originally Posted by DVL_Local View Post
    Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver for the trailer....

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...SB.html#pImage

I really like Bass Patrol jigs...they sure know how to make'em. I fish the brown/purple and the green pumpkin with red in it. 1/2oz with a beaver trailer has a deadly drop rate.

DVL_local
    I have been looking at the Sweet Beavers. I had one as a trailer before, but it didn't seem to have much of a craw look to it. It might have been a know off though and it was just something I found on the ground, lol. I ended up losing it when fishing a jig from shore and it got snagged. Does anyone have pictures or a video of it in the water with it used as a trailer? I should split the arm things, right?
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 01-19-2010 at 09:25 PM.

for football jigs, you can't beat bass patrol for the price.

Quality jigs i buy only these now, lockjawfishingjigs.com
    He makes killer colors, is fast, and the quality is the best i've used, and i have waaayyyy too many jigs layin around. Check out the 3d poison jigs, can be used as flipping, crawlin, swimmin, or whatever, the eyes are a cool feature.

Trailers, in order of what i use:
    Sweet Beaver (yes split the arms)
    V & M Mudbug (tacklewarehouse)
    Uncle josh pork
    Paca Craws (great spring through fall trailer)

Right now you may want to throw some pork since you'll be working the bait real slow, lots of scent come off the pork trailers. Check out bassresource.com and read some of the jig articles, lots of good info there. Good luck in your jig throwin ventures, they're fun to catch fish on.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by flyforfish21 View Post
    for football jigs, you can't beat bass patrol for the price.

Quality jigs i buy only these now, lockjawfishingjigs.com
    He makes killer colors, is fast, and the quality is the best i've used, and i have waaayyyy too many jigs layin around. Check out the 3d poison jigs, can be used as flipping, crawlin, swimmin, or whatever, the eyes are a cool feature.

Trailers, in order of what i use:
    Sweet Beaver (yes split the arms)
    V & M Mudbug (tacklewarehouse)
    Uncle josh pork
    Paca Craws (great spring through fall trailer)

Right now you may want to throw some pork since you'll be working the bait real slow, lots of scent come off the pork trailers. Check out bassresource.com and read some of the jig articles, lots of good info there. Good luck in your jig throwin ventures, they're fun to catch fish on.

Geoff
    I think I will get a few Bass Patrol jigs for sure, but I don't that I am going to get of those other ones that you suggested. I like rubber or hybrid over silicone, but those 3D ones look pretty nice and I like the idea of a jig that you can do everything with. I might want to try them out, but I don't want to pay separate shipping, so I want to get everything from Tackle Warehouse. I will probably get Sweet Beavers and Paca Craws/Chunks for trailers. What is the difference between the Paca Craws and Chunks? Should I match up the color of the jig and the trailer? I don't want to have to deal with the mess and trouble of pork, so that isn't an option. I am going to read a couple articles on bassresouce.com tomorrow. Thanks.

Hey man try these
    verticallures.com
    Instead of just having a regular eye on the lure, the eye is completely hidden so it is 100% weedless. For clear water I like the more natural colors, like bayou craw.
    *Disclaimer I am on the prostaff*

Quote Originally Posted by pasadenafishin View Post
    Hey man try these
    verticallures.com
    Instead of just having a regular eye on the lure, the eye is completely hidden so it is 100% weedless. For clear water I like the more natural colors, like bayou craw.
    *Disclaimer I am on the prostaff*
    That is a cool idea to make it weedless. I might get some of those if I end up fishing heavy weeds in the summer or something. How do you get on the prostaff for a company?? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    That is a cool idea to make it weedless. I might get some of those if I end up fishing heavy weeds in the summer or something. How do you get on the prostaff for a company?? Lol.
    Yeah there awesome for thick weeds.

Fishing tournaments back east during the summer.

Simplify simplify simplify! Thats the word of jig fishing. This is basic fishing at an elemental level, and one of the hardest to master bar none. Learn the jig, and you can catch fish possibly catch fish every day of the year. But it is NOT instant. You have the learn how to throw the jig every time out. If you go out and throw for the first hour, and switch to a drop shot, it only slows you down in the end.Even guys like Jeff J or Troy Linder on Castaic will often have to work hard to put a limit of jig fish in the boat on given day. But the trade off is increased size in your fish, a jig fish typically runs at least 2.5 lbs. This is the reason the jig has probably accounted for more kicker fish in tournaments than any other.
    You need three colors: brown, black, and olive/green. You can get fancy if you like, with multi color skirts and what not. When the bite is on, the fish will often hit them just the same. But if reality, at Castaic or the Lagoon where you often fish, a brown jig gets it done most the time with the clear water and what not. At Piru, the Northerns like a black jig, and some days in murky water or dark clouds, a black jig will produce better than a brown jig. Green/olive works well when the fish are up near the weedbeds, and thus their forage has blended to the environment. For secondary color, thats where you trailer comes in. Flip over some rocks, set up some craw traps if you are local and fish a lake often. Dial in your jig to a close imitation of the size and color the craws are. For example, craws near heavy weedbeds often take on a red tone with green/olive highlights. Craws in the softshell phase might be brown with translucent blue.Observe and experiment, thats the key.
    Trailers are varied. The Yamamoto 5" Double Tail is the standard, and probably the most versatile trailer you can have. The Sweet Beavers are great, the ribs produce a pressure on a bass' mouth similar to how a real craw shell might feel trying to escape. The flaps, when opened, move with a very light amount of current and open up and close like a craw on the bottom. Brush Hogs, both regular and Baby sizes, make great jigs trailers. My best flipping trailer, if you cut notches in the flaps like craw claws it does a nice impression, as the bulk of the Hog on a jig makes it stand up pretty good. Pork is indispensable in cold weather. This time of year, a brown jig on brown pork can be the key to getting bit.Super Pork is pretty much the choice when it comes to flotation and movement in pork trailers.
    Jig size is connected to conditions. A 3/4oz will get down faster, and this time of year, its what you need to fish 30+ feet of water effectively. But the fish might want a slower presentation, then you'll have to tone it down and fish a 1/2oz. Maybe the regular stuff isnt pulling it out, maybe its time throw on a 1oz and 15lb flouro, try to pull a reaction strike from a better fish. Sometimes they are shallower and want it real SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.....almost deadsticking. Here, a 1/4 oz can be invaluable, there are several brands of finesse jigs like Skinny Bear that can really get on the fish from time to time.
    Retrieves vary. Again, experiment. Dragging works well in general. Maybe you need to hop it a bit, and drag. If you are fishing a 1oz on heavy tackle, you'll pop and run into bottom cover with a fast retrieve. You might have to drag it 4 inches, and let it sit for a minute. Maybe the fish are on a ledge in 35 feet of water that runs through a ditch off a secondary point i na creek arm. Then you might have to let it hit, and shake it for a bit before you drag. When you get it right, the fish will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    Simplify simplify simplify! Thats the word of jig fishing. This is basic fishing at an elemental level, and one of the hardest to master bar none. Learn the jig, and you can catch fish possibly catch fish every day of the year. But it is NOT instant. You have the learn how to throw the jig every time out. If you go out and throw for the first hour, and switch to a drop shot, it only slows you down in the end.Even guys like Jeff J or Troy Linder on Castaic will often have to work hard to put a limit of jig fish in the boat on given day. But the trade off is increased size in your fish, a jig fish typically runs at least 2.5 lbs. This is the reason the jig has probably accounted for more kicker fish in tournaments than any other.
    You need three colors: brown, black, and olive/green. You can get fancy if you like, with multi color skirts and what not. When the bite is on, the fish will often hit them just the same. But if reality, at Castaic or the Lagoon where you often fish, a brown jig gets it done most the time with the clear water and what not. At Piru, the Northerns like a black jig, and some days in murky water or dark clouds, a black jig will produce better than a brown jig. Green/olive works well when the fish are up near the weedbeds, and thus their forage has blended to the environment. For secondary color, thats where you trailer comes in. Flip over some rocks, set up some craw traps if you are local and fish a lake often. Dial in your jig to a close imitation of the size and color the craws are. For example, craws near heavy weedbeds often take on a red tone with green/olive highlights. Craws in the softshell phase might be brown with translucent blue.Observe and experiment, thats the key.
    Trailers are varied. The Yamamoto 5" Double Tail is the standard, and probably the most versatile trailer you can have. The Sweet Beavers are great, the ribs produce a pressure on a bass' mouth similar to how a real craw shell might feel trying to escape. The flaps, when opened, move with a very light amount of current and open up and close like a craw on the bottom. Brush Hogs, both regular and Baby sizes, make great jigs trailers. My best flipping trailer, if you cut notches in the flaps like craw claws it does a nice impression, as the bulk of the Hog on a jig makes it stand up pretty good. Pork is indispensable in cold weather. This time of year, a brown jig on brown pork can be the key to getting bit.Super Pork is pretty much the choice when it comes to flotation and movement in pork trailers.
    Jig size is connected to conditions. A 3/4oz will get down faster, and this time of year, its what you need to fish 30+ feet of water effectively. But the fish might want a slower presentation, then you'll have to tone it down and fish a 1/2oz. Maybe the regular stuff isnt pulling it out, maybe its time throw on a 1oz and 15lb flouro, try to pull a reaction strike from a better fish. Sometimes they are shallower and want it real SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.....almost deadsticking. Here, a 1/4 oz can be invaluable, there are several brands of finesse jigs like Skinny Bear that can really get on the fish from time to time.
    Retrieves vary. Again, experiment. Dragging works well in general. Maybe you need to hop it a bit, and drag. If you are fishing a 1oz on heavy tackle, you'll pop and run into bottom cover with a fast retrieve. You might have to drag it 4 inches, and let it sit for a minute. Maybe the fish are on a ledge in 35 feet of water that runs through a ditch off a secondary point i na creek arm. Then you might have to let it hit, and shake it for a bit before you drag. When you get it right, the fish will let you know.
    Thanks for the quality reply. I read it all and it has some really good info that I can use. I am going to get a bunch of jigs and start fishing them a lot. I am a little hesitant on the pork trailers. What water temperature should I really start using pork? I think they don't look that great and they are kind of a hassle compared to soft plastic.

You could, in theory, use pork all year long. As long as you dont leave it out of the water for more than 15 minutes at a time, its good. Especially Super Pork. Thats actually a conservative guestimate....I know guys who left it out on the boat deck for a while when they got into another bite, and the pork fished was just fine afterwards. But, if you are dedicated to throwing the jig most the day with few exceptions, the pork drying out wouldn't be a big concern.
    But, the action of pork in best for cold water. When the water starts to dip below 55, pork is at its prime. Water temp isnt all tho in jigs. Front conditions can make for relatively warm water, but a lock jaw bite, so when a storm is coming in and the fish are popping the bait good, a Sweet Beaver or double tail might kill it. But when the pressure goes back up and its cold, blue bird skies pork is good, especially late winter like now. Also, match your trailer size. You might need a small trailer to match a small 1/4oz jig, like a Tiny Brush Hog or 4" double tail. Conversely, the same trailer won't do much for a 3/4oz jig.
    The nice thing about many of the trailers you can use is they are all purpose. Ive caught more fish on a Sweet Beaver than any other bait, you can do anything with it really. Ditto for the Brush Hog, and some of the other baits mentioned here already.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    You could, in theory, use pork all year long. As long as you dont leave it out of the water for more than 15 minutes at a time, its good. Especially Super Pork. Thats actually a conservative guestimate....I know guys who left it out on the boat deck for a while when they got into another bite, and the pork fished was just fine afterwards. But, if you are dedicated to throwing the jig most the day with few exceptions, the pork drying out wouldn't be a big concern.
    But, the action of pork in best for cold water. When the water starts to dip below 55, pork is at its prime. Water temp isnt all tho in jigs. Front conditions can make for relatively warm water, but a lock jaw bite, so when a storm is coming in and the fish are popping the bait good, a Sweet Beaver or double tail might kill it. But when the pressure goes back up and its cold, blue bird skies pork is good, especially late winter like now. Also, match your trailer size. You might need a small trailer to match a small 1/4oz jig, like a Tiny Brush Hog or 4" double tail. Conversely, the same trailer won't do much for a 3/4oz jig.
    The nice thing about many of the trailers you can use is they are all purpose. Ive caught more fish on a Sweet Beaver than any other bait, you can do anything with it really. Ditto for the Brush Hog, and some of the other baits mentioned here already.
    I'm just going to stick with plastics for now. I don't think I would like using the pork and it is kind of expensive compared to plastic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast