Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a spinning reel and rod suitable for (yellowfin tuna/yellowtail)

If it's a California rod then it's sold exclusively by Turners. They are decent rods, I'm not sure about all of the California rods but I know some of them have a lifetime warranty, so if it breaks just take it to any Turners and you should be able to get a new one or replacement one.

awesome, i believe the seller states that it is. I'm excited gonna go see the rod tomorrow and the reel.

I would recomend a Shimano Spheros 10000 or 14000 for larger sport fish. That's what alot of guys from the east coast use when hunting tuna. They both hold enough 30# line, and have sufficient drag to catch yellow fin and yellowtail. Good luck, and let us know how it goes this summer.

I've been using the Shimano Thunnus for a long while. Gets the job done and has a "live bait" feature. The only time I had to send it to Shimano was due to one of the rollers seizing up after using it to go catfishing in the mud. I recommend it if you are going to flyline.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. Tomorrow 1-23 im going to meet up with someone on craigslist looking at a Shimano 6500 baitrunner reel + California Sabre Stroker rod 6'6 15-40lb (according to him) for $80. If the reel is in good condition, I'm getting it for sure. I think my gf and I will probably hit up an overnight trip for tuna (most likely off SD) over summer so we're not planning to use super heavy lines for yoyo jigging or anything like that. I was thinking as long as it is around 15-20lb line we'll be okay. Correct me if im wrong guys! Also could you guys recommend a good sportfishing landing for us to go down at SD?

Tuna fishing on a cattle boat I HIGHLY recommend at least 25# mono to start with. If the bigger models show up and they are biting easily then move up the line class accordingly. Don't get me wrong you can catch tuna on 15-20# line BUT it will take you longer to get the fish to the boat. And especially if your on a moving school of tuna the idea is you want to get them to the boat as quick as possible so if the boat has drifted away from the school they can quickly catch up to the school and hopefully get the bite on again. One of the other things also is that you have to contend with 20-30 angler's also and if it's WFO, expect tangles and if your fishing 15-20# line and everyone else is fishing heavier line...guess what, you stand a good chance of losing your fish.

Lot's of good landings in San Diego, you have the main 3, Fisherman's Landing, H&M Landing, and Point Loma Sportfishing. Don't forget Seaforth Sportfishing in Mission Bay too.

Awesome thanks for those recommendations. So i met up with the seller today and got my Shimano baitrunner 6500 in good condition (no box or anything) and also the california sabre stroker rod 7'ft 15-30lb test. The rod seem to be a little old the reel is old but it's working smoothly. The baitrunner function and main drag also working fine. Took apart the reel and no dust or dirt in the gears. Very satisfied with the purchase and the seller also gave me a box of hooks and weights. He just wants to get rid of everything before moving out of CA. If you guys are interested in any fresh water reel / rods for bass fishing, he got some. Pm me and i'll give you his info. He lives in Sunland 30min away from san gabriel/ pasadena. Anyway thank you everyone for being so helpful with the rods and reel suggestions and also fishing landings recommendations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12