Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimano reel repair....

and this from shimano..............

Reels we cannot repair:
    Conventional: MCR1000GT, MCR100GT, MCR2000GT, MCR200GT, P-1500MAG, P-1501MAG, TSMII, TSMIII

Low Baitcasting: BTX100A, BTX101A, Bx-10, BX-15, BX-25, CH100, CH200, CI100, CI100A, CI200, CI200A, CO100, CO100A, C0200, CO200A, CR100, CR101, CU100, CU100A, CU200, CU200A, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III

dang...what the heck.......fishbones

Open it up and try to repair it yourself. Does it physically go in and out of gear? It's probably the clutch plate and clutch cam that are the source of your problems. Tighten the screws on them up and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by That Dang Guy View Post
    Open it up and try to repair it yourself. Does it physically go in and out of gear? It's probably the clutch plate and clutch cam that are the source of your problems. Tighten the screws on them up and you should be good to go.
    Will do that for sure...the corsair & curado have to be banged with your fist to engage.....not sure if that helps..

If you really want them repaired, the only other person that I would trust with reel repair is Alan Tani. check out his website and see if he's got tutorial's on those reels if not you could post up questions or even send it to him for repair.

I send all my reels to Alan and he does one heck of a job on them.

http://alantani.com

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    Will do that for sure...the corsair & curado have to be banged with your fist to engage.....not sure if that helps..
    The Curado & Corsair both have a retractor spring on the Clutch slide.
    If it "pops" back when you bang it I would venture a 'guess' that they are just in need of cleaning and some grease...

If they just sort of wonder back into gear, the spring may have come out of place or??...
    They have one Z shaped end and one end is just bent up at 90*, that fit into a small holes... Dog leg spring.....

Alan Tani does have a Curado Tutorial..

Easy to follow his directions and do it yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    JUST FOUND THIS
    Corsair Replacement
    Shimano will no longer provide replacement of Corsair reels as of January 1, 2010.

Corsair reels will now be eligible for repair, but must be in repairable condition. Excessively corroded or abused reels are not eligible for repair and will be sent back to the customer.

Repair cost is $35 plus shipping.

If you reel qualifies, please fill out the "repair request form" located at the top of this page and sent to:

Shimano American
    Attn: Reel Repair
    1 Holland
    Irvine, CA 92618

Questions? Please contact Shimano American Customer Service at 1-877-577-0600

owell back to the drawimg board.........fishbones
    I actually emailed Shimano about my Corsair a while back and they said that I could get a replacement following January 1, but it was like $10 more I think. You should email them. When I get home I can post the reply that I got from them last month.

hey fishbones i service reels for all my friends and myself. ive been doing it since i was a kid because i never had the money nor did i know i could have them serviced, i thought it was up to me. i also only use shimano reels anymore so i know them inside and out. i can service them for you for realy cheap and if i cant fix the problem i wont charge you a dime. by the sound of the problem im 99% sure you dont need any parts or anything. if your interested PM me.

Should be a cheap fix. It doesn't sound like anything is broken. If hitting the reel reengages the reel, the spring should still be in place and preloading the clutch pawl. Probably something as simple as an obstruction or alignment issue.

With Alantani's guides, it's simple! Dig in, you'll find it very rewarding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12