Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topwater Rod Recommendations

Default Topwater Rod Recommendations

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a topwater rod to throw spooks, super spooks, sammys, ect.

I have a Curado 200e that I plan on putting on this rod.

What do you guys suggest? I was looking at the following and probably planning on running 15# on it. Or is this too heavy of line to use?

Clarus CSC-70MHA - 7'0 - Medium Heavy - Fast - 12-20 - 1/4oz to 1oz

Thanks!

Shimano Crucial 7'6" MH XF Tip.... Best rod ever. 15lb is perfect.

10-12# line! Better distance and action! Its not easy to get good distance with a plastic spook on heavy line.

But you already know my thoughts on the matter.... ;)

I dunno about an extra fast tip.

Whenever using a rod with an extra fast tip for cranks or topwaters, I usually end up ripping the bait out of the fish's mouth. All my extra fast rods are used for bottom bouncing techniques.

I prefer a more parabolic rod when fishing topwaters, jerkbaits, and cranks. It lets the fish 'inhale' the bait easier without ripping out of its mouth.

I'd look for something in the medium or medium fast action, that can handle 10 or 12# test. 6"6 to 7" would be perfect.

Default Powell

Powell 702 CB Glass with a Shimano Curado reel is the ticket. The rod has amazing moderate action and is perfect for Topwater, spinnerbaits, light to medium cranks, and especially jerk and ripbaits.

Vince

www.tacklewarehouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Whenever using a rod with an extra fast tip for cranks or topwaters, I usually end up ripping the bait out of the fish's mouth. All my extra fast rods are used for bottom bouncing techniques.

I prefer a more parabolic rod when fishing topwaters, jerkbaits, and cranks. It lets the fish 'inhale' the bait easier without ripping out of its mouth.

I'd look for something in the medium or medium fast action, that can handle 10 or 12# test. 6"6 to 7" would be perfect.
    This guy knows what's up!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

the way that Crucial is rated is as a Flipping stick...not the same as the Dropshot type... The tip feels slower than it is...but it Is an excellent rod.....

My 7'6" Clarus H F will definitely rip the hook out of their mouths with a slower action... but It's his preference....

I'll go one up and recommend a specific model...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ELL-PSTGR.html

You get that and you'll never need another spook rod ever.

A mod action is what you're looking for. Any treble-fishing rod requires at minimum a mod-fast action. Gotta let them inhale the lure, then smash them with a hookset. Topwater is primarily tip down, so longer isn't necessarily better.

You're probably looking for a 6'6" or even a 6' MH with a mod or mod-fast action.

How about Dobyns 684CB. Great rod, exactly what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    A mod action is what you're looking for. Any treble-fishing rod requires at minimum a mod-fast action. Gotta let them inhale the lure, then smash them with a hookset. Topwater is primarily tip down, so longer isn't necessarily better.
    I agree on the action but disagree on length....yes a shorter rod is less cumbersome to walk a bait with, but i think the added distance you get by fishing a 7ft rod is more than worth it...especially if you are fishing for more than just LMB....

I use a 7ft GL2 loomis mod-fast rated 10-20. Works great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast