Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: What reel for a Crucial CRS-DX72M?

Default What reel for a Crucial CRS-DX72M?

Looking at purchasing a Crucial CRS-DX72M for dropshotting 8# line. What reel do you guys recommend for this rod? Something not super expensive but nice and reliable would be ideal.

Thanks!

Shimano Sahara/Shimano Symetre/Shimano Saros 2000-2500....

I'd go with a stradic 1000. Solid reels and I also have a crucial drop shot rod matched with a stradic 1000 with 6 lb and the stradic is perfect for this fishing.

I actually own that same rod and I have a Saros 2500 on it. And I feel its an awsome setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Agro View Post
    for dropshotting 8# line. What reel do you guys recommend for this rod?

Thanks!
    For 6 & 8# line I would personally go with a smaller Reel, nothing over 1000/1500 size..
    I drop shot with 4# for bass, max 6# line....

Stick with quality, Shimano & Daiwa and find one you like the feel & looks of.
    I prefer Daiwa in Spinning reels (Im a Daiwa fan).
    The Drags are much better IMHO.
    Even the Regal series are great.... ($35 to $50)..

Thanks for the info guys. Kinda cool to hear different opinions. I was told by a few guys to get nothing smaller than a 2000 just to hold more line and farther distance casting...

I have a Shimano Sedona 2500 for drop shotting on a St Croix Mojo Bass rod and it has worked well. I am cheap, so I don't have any really expensive gear or anything, lol.

I kind of wanted to get the Sahara, but it was just too expensive for me.

8lb line is a bit big for a 1000 sized Shimano reel, especially if you're going to put a stiffer flourocarbon line on it. It will definitely hold it, but it's smaller diameter is going to be an issue. A current C2000 sized reel is simply a 1000 sized reel with with a slightly oversized spool (40mm vs 42mm). I'd use a 2500 sized reel for this application, but they're a bit heavy. If you have a slightly larger budget, a Stradic CI4 2500 is insanely light for the price ($199) and a fantastic reel.

I personally use a Cumara 68DXM w/ a C2000S Biomaster and a Cumara 72XMH with a 2500 Saros. These reels balance out really well with their rods.

Before you purchase it, run out to Bass Pros and put the combo together to feel them out. I think that will help you make your decision between a 1000 or 2500 and a standard reel versus a CI4. Nothing gives you more input than feeling them in hand.

Saros or stradic 1000. 6 pound fluro.

Saros is a big step up in performance from the lower model reels. Stradic is a bit better than saros...its up to you if you want to pay the extra $$$...