Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: sand dab fishing

Fileting a Dab is a lot like fileting a halibut, so if you know how to filet hali's then you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Fileting a Dab is a lot like fileting a halibut, so if you know how to filet hali's then you're fine.
    yeah....try filetting 200 of them..lol....

that would be way too much effort....just cook em whole...the meat peels right off the bones....

GD

I recall making a 75 hook ganion and fishing for dabs with a 1lb rockcod weight.

The set up consisted of a seeker ulua 93h & newell 338 w/40lb.

The ganion was draped over the entire starboard side of the 65 foot boat.

I'd stand on the stern corner and HEAVE the 1lb weight while another person was on the bow with the reel in free spool. :LOL

10 min later (with alot of cranking)= viola 75 dabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradakas View Post
    I recall making a 75 hook ganion and fishing for dabs with a 1lb rockcod weight.

The set up consisted of a seeker ulua 93h & newell 338 w/40lb.

The ganion was draped over the entire starboard side of the 65 foot boat.

I'd stand on the stern corner and HEAVE the 1lb weight while another person was on the bow with the reel in free spool. :LOL

10 min later (with alot of cranking)= viola 75 dabs.
    poacher..lmao....

yeah..I remember those days too man

GD

I actually went this past saturday to get the break in the license for the year. Didnt post a report since it was not "real" fishing. Since it was a virtually a "no skunk" guarantee. But it was tiring, we where fishing at 300ft.

As for tackle, they sell a 10 ganion,$8.95, they say 12 hooks is the max allowed.

you need a 2lb sinker, dropper loops will work, I dont think beads are necessary if you make your own ganion. 2lb + 300ft + 8 fish = tiring

I knew weekends where going to be not as good, but it wasnt too bad. Some people got there last minute looking to get on anyboat going out and that was the only one going out that day and they kept tangling lines with people, couldnt follow directions. But other than them, with 30 people on the boat it was not too bad.

We caught 155 with my dad. I caught a huge sculpin on the first retrieve but it had to go back. Was fun to see who was catching more or the bigger ones. Someone actually caught a 5-6 foot shark, apparently it hooked on to one of the sanddabs that he was hooked -incidental live bait. Overall it was good trip, good way to get rid of the skunk for the year Thats the main reason we went

Would prob go at least once more before they stop running in April.

I can post a pic of the ganion if you want

-bb

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    I actually went this past saturday to get the break in the license for the year. Didnt post a report since it was not "real" fishing. Since it was a virtually a "no skunk" guarantee. But it was tiring, we where fishing at 300ft.

As for tackle, they sell a 10 ganion,$8.95, they say 12 hooks is the max allowed.

you need a 2lb sinker, dropper loops will work, I dont think beads are necessary if you make your own ganion. 2lb + 300ft + 8 fish = tiring

I knew weekends where going to be not as good, but it wasnt too bad. Some people got there last minute looking to get on anyboat going out and that was the only one going out that day and they kept tangling lines with people, couldnt follow directions. But other than them, with 30 people on the boat it was not too bad.

We caught 155 with my dad. I caught a huge sculpin on the first retrieve but it had to go back. Was fun to see who was catching more or the bigger ones. Someone actually caught a 5-6 foot shark, apparently it hooked on to one of the sanddabs that he was hooked -incidental live bait. Overall it was good trip, good way to get rid of the skunk for the year Thats the main reason we went

Would prob go at least once more before they stop running in April.

I can post a pic of the ganion if you want

-bb
    10 hook ganion for $9? Do they bait the hooks and take the fish off too at that price...

ive eaten sand dabs and they are very good eatin,but fishing for them is very not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradakas View Post
    10 hook ganion for $9? Do they bait the hooks and take the fish off too at that price...
    Picked up a bunch of Sabiki rigs with #2 hooks at a sale for $1 each.
    They work good. Strip of squid on each hook. I use five hooks and a 4 oz torpedo and drift when the wind is down.

I recall reading 2010 DFG is changing the rule from 12 hooks to as many as you want since these things are thick as fleas.

Found a spot off Pt Fermin. Line up the tops of the Evergreen cranes with the top of the Vincent Thomas Bridge then go out to 175' deep they are thick and no need to go way out to the rigs.

One San Pedro old school Italian told me that Sand Dabs are by far the best tasteing fish around.

Supposed to be the top bait for Lingcod too.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post

DR

They are also good shark bait too

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Picked up a bunch of Sabiki rigs with #2 hooks at a sale for $1 each.
    They work good. Strip of squid on each hook. I use five hooks and a 4 oz torpedo and drift when the wind is down.

I recall reading 2010 DFG is changing the rule from 12 hooks to as many as you want since these things are thick as fleas.

Found a spot off Pt Fermin. Line up the tops of the Evergreen cranes with the top of the Vincent Thomas Bridge then go out to 175' deep they are thick and no need to go way out to the rigs.

One San Pedro old school Italian told me that Sand Dabs are by far the best tasteing fish around.

DR
    Really? I guess fishing 10-12 hooks, and people averaging 200-300 fish a piece isnt enough..

They wont be "thick as fleas" for very long if that's the case....

GD

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast