Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sand dab fishing

Default sand dab fishing

I have kind of developed the bug for a new kind of fishing, and decided id like to go sand dab fishing. i have checked out the article about it on here, but it didnt give me all the info i need. How exactly do i rig for these? can i just use a series of dropper loops? what size hooks do i need? are beads really needed? what size main line?

thanks for your help.

When you're sand dab fishing you can use as many hooks as you want and a series of dropper loops is fine. Beads are not really needed since you can catch sand dabs with very little effort on your part-they'll bite pretty much anything. Depending on your reel size or depth of water, anything from 20lb-40lb line will definately be enough for sand dab fishing. Hook size doesn't really matter either but 1/0 live bait or even circle hooks will be fine. Their mouths are actually surprisingly big-I've had one eat my sardine before.
    Last edited by TShaffer; 01-11-2010 at 08:01 PM.

thanks for your reply. ill be sure to post a report after i go
    Last edited by youngfish; 01-11-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: woops

Which landing runs the sand dab trips?

I'd like to try this L.A. style fishing one of these days before I die of old age.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Which landing runs the sand dab trips?

I'd like to try this L.A. style fishing one of these days before I die of old age.
    The Sea Angler -aka Sand Dab express outta 22nd street marina in San Pedro.

22nd St Landing Sansou....

GD

has anyone been on the sea angler? hows the crew? decent crowd during the week?

Quote Originally Posted by youngfish View Post
    has anyone been on the sea angler? hows the crew? decent crowd during the week?
    I've never been on it but if you look at the counts....they catch PLENTY of dabs.

Great captain...great crew....but dont expect them to take every sand dab you catch off...lol....catching 10 per person per drop, its hard to keep up....

Have fun

GD

id say PLENTY is and under statement. 2350 dabs? thats rediculous! i cant wait to get out there and fill my freezer. i recenly ran out of crappie and catfish, and trout isnt filling my craving for fish, so lets see how these dabs do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast