Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: can anyone let me know when they are going surf fishing? eager to learn.

Default can anyone let me know when they are going surf fishing? eager to learn.

hey guys, i love to fish.... ALL fishing. I have been doing alot of jetti fishing as well as peir fishing, i have noticed though there is alot more sport in surf fishing so i researched it on youtube. I REALLY want to learn and am hoping that someone can give me some pointers, besides i would love to get to know some of you especially team 57 members. Of caurse i would also love to try halibut fishing and from what i understand i should go to long beach. How is the surf fishing right now around huntington pier? i go here about one to 2 times a week. thanks , jason

If you have never been surf fishing before, I really recommend Fisherman57's article on Barred Surf Perch. It covers everything you need to know about catching them. They are a great fish for first timers to target because they are fun, and relatively easy after you've read this article. Perching doesn't require specialized gear either. If you have trout gear, you've got perch gear.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

Halibut fishing can get expensive fast, and after one or two LCs, a few packs of dropshot baits, assorted dropshot weights, and several packs of Owner or Gamakatsu hooks you realize you spent a lot more than you originally wanted. Enough perch gear for a few months (depending on how much you go) costs about as much as one LC Flash Minnow 110.

As for meeting other guys, hit the sand enough and you will start meeting a few. Huntington Beach is a great place to go surf fishing (lots of beach, other surf fishermen), and you'll find surf perch in abundance. There are halibut hanging around there too, so get out there and give it a shot.

Lastly man, you are a Team 57 member if you post on this site, so welcome to the Team!
    Last edited by bsp; 01-11-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Grammarz

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    If you have never been surf fishing before, I really recommend Fisherman57's article on Barred Surf Perch. It covers everything you need to know about catching them. They are a great fish for first timers to target because they are fun, and relatively easy after you've read this article. Perching doesn't require specialized gear either. If you have trout gear, you've got perch gear.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

Halibut fishing can get expensive fast, and after one or two LCs, a few packs of dropshot baits, assorted dropshot weights, and several packs of Owner or Gamakatsu hooks you realize you spent a lot more than you originally wanted. Enough perch gear for a few months (depending on how much you go) costs about as much as one LC Flash Minnow 110.

As for meeting other guys, hit the sand enough and you will start meeting a few. Huntington Beach is a great place to go surf fishing (lots of beach, other surf fishermen), and you'll find surf perch in abundance. There are halibut hanging around there too, so get out there and give it a shot.

Lastly man, you are a Team 57 member if you post on this site, so welcome to the Team!
    I would definitely go with bsp's advice. I caught my first fish in the surf after reading the Surf Perch 101 article.

Default very good thread......

i read this article and it created a excitment to try it. i am excited.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    i read this article and it created a excitment to try it. i am excited.

Keep in mind there is several ways to surf fish.

Long rod, outside cast, shark, rays, halibut.

Tossing LC, Krocs, ect.

Inshore Perch grubs, for BSP

Berkley Gulp Camo Sandworm (fish crack) 1 1/2" to 2" pieces.

Live baits, ghost shrimp, lug worms, nuclear worms, mussels, smelt sand crabs.

My favorite is my old Ugly stick, spinner with 6 lb 1/2 or 3/4 oz sliding egg to a swivel then a 20" 4 lb flouocarbon leader to a #2 or #4 or #6 Owner mosquito wire hook. Fishing tight to the shore, not getting in the water and not casting more than 40' with live sand crabs.

Good Luck, DR

Default wow that is great dockrat

i will try this information as well, very helpful thanks