Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castaic Lake 1/10 - First Stripers of 2010

WTG fireball, did you try the owner circle hooks yet? If you go back again try that spot you saw me at last year(dec 28) there were a lot that size in 60' of water.

Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi View Post
    There is a lot misconception that is the swim bladder. It is the stomach. Don't ever pop that thing if your going to release the fish. Dont even stuff it back down because you risk killing it. If the fish swims back down, the air pressure in its swim bladder will dequalize again when it is back down to near the depth it was at. The stomach will automatically reverse it itself and it will live another day. =)
    That makes sense now. I did release them yesterday because I didn't want to fillet them and everything. It is just so much easier to release them.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT'N View Post
    marzocchi is right. The Swim bladder expanded and PUSHED the stomach out of the fish.

Is has to do with depth, and the rate of ascent.

And NEVER puncture the stomach.................

was looking for you out there marzocchi

Nice to meet you yesterday Fire Ball!

Capt'n
    It was nice to meet you and CowPatty too!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Nice Catch! I was anchored at the left end of the buoy line in the morning.

Marzocchi and Capt'n are right it's the stomach. When you bring them up from down deep that happens sometimes.

It's not as bad as it is for black bass, striper can control the air in their swim bladder.

If you want to avoid this so that you can release them, give them some time when your reeling them up. On the way up they get to certain point and really start fighting. Keep pressure on them but let them swim around a little at that depth until they come through that depth on their own, then reel them up the rest of the way.
    Cool. How did you guys do? There were quite a few boats over there. Sometimes the striper hiss at me while they are releasing air, lol. I like how they really start fighting at one point. They are more fun to fight than LMB once you get them to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    definately the bladder, I had them doing that about 2 weeks ago while catching them at 60-70 feet down, thats from decompression when you reel them up...

Congrats on the feesh...even if theyre all not toads, at least your getting some fish...and thats what its about..

Sometimes you just have to take what "lady lake" gives you, you always gotta be gratefull she's kicking out anything for you....sometimes the big fish bite and other times they don't.. especially stripers....sometimes they switch on and off like a light switch..

Nice work..

stay on em, the bigger units will come in time if you stay on them...

Nice work,
    Gary
    Thanks Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    WTG fireball, did you try the owner circle hooks yet? If you go back again try that spot you saw me at last year(dec 28) there were a lot that size in 60' of water.
    I didn't get the Owner circle hooks, but I got some other ones. When I went to Sport Chalet they only had some weird Owner circle hooks (not mosquito or octopus) so I didn't get those and got some Matzuo Up-Eye circle hooks (which look like octopus hooks). I am still on the look out for Owner mosquito circle hooks! The circle hooks worked wonderfully! They were perfectly set in the top lip or side of the lip every time while my rod was in the holder. They fixed the buoy line, so now you can't go back to that area that you guys were fishing! I am probably going to hit the upper lake again this weekend since I got my annual pass finally.

You guys are all wrong about that thing out of the jailbird's mouth, it's the tongue!!

Best tasting part of the fish, hands down.....J/K, lol....

Great catches there and fun to be out with the pops.

Nice job on the stripers!

That's a STOMACH sticking out, not a bladder. Just to reiterate for the experts that insist it is the bladder.

By the way, don't forget to "fizz" your stripers.........in HOT oil!
    Last edited by sansou; 01-11-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Nice job on the stripers!

That's a STOMACH sticking out, not a bladder. Just to reiterate for the experts that insist it is the bladder.

By the way, don't forget to "fizz" your stripers.........in HOT oil!
    I would fizz them in hot oil if it wasn't so much work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12