Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Black Sea Bass Pier Murder !

I really wonder if that guy even hooked the fish at all. Judging from how weak it looked, I'm betting on another fisherman caught him and didn't know how to deflate that bladder and left him floating towards shore, and this guy snagged him from the pier. Really sad sight, especially the fact there was no one around to recognize that it was a BSB.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4keep View Post
    I'll just button down my drag and hope it breaks close to the knot. I think that would give the beast a better chance than to gaff it, bring it ashore, and then after several pics release it......
    That would work.

They say when your getting spooled to thumb down on the last few wraps and it will snap near the hook.
    Get spooled all the way to the spool and it snaps at the spool then you loose your line.

The Venice guys should have used the hoop net.

Best is to dive in and handle it, that would be a great C&R video or get a surfer to help out.

That guy should be easy to ID with that tattoo.

The second video has close up's after the skimboarder scene
    in the second half of the video.

Check out this CPR BSB video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRYt3ooLs4

This guy pops the bladder at Catalina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0RMAb8Fwc

Note: due to overfishing which includes a vulnerability to spear fishermen, the species is considered to be an endangered species and we strongly recommend that it be handled as a “catch and release” species. In 2005 the Fish and Game Department of the State of California imposed a $1,000 fine and up to six months in jail for anyone in possession of a Black Sea Bass.

Omid Adhami pled guilty to the "illegal taking of a protected giant sea bass." He got three years probation, 30 days of community service and ordered to pay $1,100 in fine. The judge told him that if he violated his probation, he would go directly to jail, (do not pass Go, do not collect $200) and also took his gear.

The case of Omid Adhami, a foreigner who used a speargun to kill a giant sea bass, friendly enough to local divers to have a name, in La Jolla Ecological Reserve.

"When authorities intercepted the vessel, they discovered Blackie — a 50-something-year-old giant black sea bass weighing 171 pounds — skewered. The slain fish, a protected species, had been friendly to swimmers in the cove since the 1950s, says lifeguard Sgt. John Sandmeyer.

“‘There are groups that are breaking [into] tears over this,’ he says.

“State law prohibits killing the fish species, gentle giants once harvested to the brink of extinction.

At trial, a game warden compared the killing to "going out to a dairy and shooting a cow." (Or, perhaps, chasing a horse to death).

The perp had a long rap sheet, couldn't be expected to exhibit sportsman-like qualities, and indeed shouldn't have been in the country at all:

“Adhami has six felony convictions for auto theft, receiving stolen property, burglary and insurance fraud and has served 2122 years in state prison. Adhami also is an undocumented immigrant who could be deported to his native Iran at any time, according to court records.” (3 plead not guilty in killing of protected fish, by Terry Rodgers, San Diego Union-Tribune, June 3, 2005)

Send this guy back to Iran.
    DR

I always wondered just how ignorant people could be. Just when you think you see something that tops the list, a week later one even greater comes along............

Great, more fuel for the MLPA Blue Ribbion Task force.
    Last edited by NY4Reels!; 01-10-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Unbelievable!
    Last edited by spork; 01-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH AN EMBARRASSING DISPLAY OF IGNORANCE AND CARELESSNESS IN 25+ YEARS OF FISHING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

I hope that that individual is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law

I also hope a 5" long potato bug finds its way into his anus at night while he is sleeping

This is a very sad seen to all of us fisherman and non fisherman ,
    another log on the burning fire for MLPA.
    I just want to ad that this video looks kinda old like summer or early fall,
    correct me if i'm wrong cause all the people have shorts and swim suits, and the guy who went in the water didn't look like was cold at all.
    Hope some one got that guys mug to the authorities .

Sean

Default whats up

why doesnt someone sumit the video too fish and game? the guys face is on the picture and im sure he fishes there or someone might spot him out someday and might turn him in!!!

What a dumbass.... Wish I was there to rat this loser out.

Default Poachers

What a sad way for beautiful specimen to die at the hands of poachers, i cant beleave there was not one person in the crowd on the pier or the other crowd that didnt know what that was and that they should have not even touched it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

this ******* sucks!!! i know by know hes long gone and wont be caught, but i hope he AT LEASED found out what he did... even though stormcrows post seems like a great solution.

fishing can be a fun family sport, but it isnt kite flying. THERE ARE RULES!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast