Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Furlough Day = Fishing 1/8/2010

Default Furlough Day = Fishing 1/8/2010

Lake Mission Viejo 1/08/2010:

Time for a furlough day! Yep! Glenn wants to go fishing so I’ll take him up on his offer. I met him just after 8:00am at the gate. We go to the boat rental office and see only 1 boat has been rented out from the marina. Wow! This lake sure beats those darn $22.00 OC pay lakes where you get in line at midnight. Screw that!! I’m sleeping in!! I don’t wanna deal with that **** anymore. We get our gear on the boat as we wait for Quan. A school of about 15 Nebraska trout grab our curiosity, attention, and consume our waiting time in the marina. The weather is awesome and that was how the day started out. We probably saw about 5 boats on the entire lake today.

We get our boat rental at 9:00am – 1:00pm and head out. Quan draws first fish within a minute of his first cast and continued on to catch 3 more fish. He was unstoppable. Glenn tosses out and lands a fish then he lands another. I’m in the front of the boat just watching these guys and guiding these guys onto the fish like a good ol boy. In 2 hours of fishing I haven’t caught crap so no big deal right? In my mind I’m thinking f*** you guys! Nobody comes on my home lake and outfishes me.

Having these 2 guys on the boat was like listening to 2 brothers talking smack. They were talking smack all morning and saying ghey stuff. Hey! That long pole can go in spots you’ve never seen before. Glenn denied his liking of Quan’s *** in his face all day!! I’m like sorry guys I don’t play that game. I kept quiet waiting for a fish as they kept talking ghey stuff. Glenn looks over at me and asked Dave what’s that on your lip?! Ohh, I replied! That is not a sun blister as it may appear, it’s from some big uns the other night! She didn’t mind tho! I just went a little too far with them. It was talking smack then hook up. Talk some more smack then another hook up! This fish that Quan hooked up to had no end to it. The fish took him around the buoy and busted him off. Quan said it was a big Nebraska fish as Glenn tries to persuade him about it being a big bass. For the next few hours it was talk about how the big one got away. Ohh yeah! The big one got away but I still haven’t got bit yet! The trout wouldn’t touch my powermouse at all. You guys just wait n watch! I'm gonna get the big one!

So after about 2.5 hours of fishing outside of the marina, we make a move to Malorca dock. I cast out to about 25ft of water with a casta bubble on, a 2ft leader with rainbow glitter powerbait. Within a few minutes I get bit and land my first trout of the day. We stayed there for about 20 minutes when we moved again. Only the one fish was caught here. This time we went to the outer edge of Market Cove for about 40 minutes. We had no bites so Quan wanted to go into Market Cove. When I hear about going into Market Cove I’d rather take a nap. I dislike that cove with a passion.

So we make a move and try it out just to see what’s going on. We go to the left end and anchor. I toss out a ½ inflated nightcrawler and lay back to take a nap. Within 3 minutes my line goes zzzzzzzzzz!!! It tries to go around the anchor line so I get it under control. Quan nets the fish after a nice fight and it’s a 3.9lb beauty. The look on Quan’s face was ****!! That fish is bigger than mine. They both decide to call it the whining fish and bolster me for not wanting to go into the cove! I’m like shut the heck up you guys!! You’re just jealous because the big one got away!! Hahhahha! We fished the cove for roughly 20 minutes and headed in. We landed 7 fish today which isn’t bad at all. It was a great day to be fishing. Today was one of those days where more smack talking was going on to make it fun.

Market Cove:
    Going back to last year, I think maybe one trout landed on my stringer from that cove. It’s either on or it is dead. Most of the time it’s unproductive water. From past experiences in 5 years, I’ve only managed to land 1 four fish limit from the cove. So you see why I’d rather take a nap.

1.)On opening day Saturday November 21st one fish landed on my stringer while tossing a mini jig. None after that (from the cove) while fishing with Bryan and Larry on Bryan’s boat. Larry landed 1 or 2 and so did Bryan.
    2.) Landed 2 fish in the cove while fishing with Quan on 12/22/09. We had to leave shortly after because our anchor came off the rope.
    4.) Market Cove has been hammered since the stocking on 12/30/09. All the boats were fishing in the cove and very few fish were caught because of the pressure.
    5.)Been back to the cove 5 times since then and have caught absolutely nothing. So you can see where I stand on this. I’d rather not go in the cove for now until after the next stocking on 1/14/2010.
    5.) I’ve caught 2 fish on my last 4 outings prior to today. So yeah I’ve struggled. I know what the heck I’m talking about when Market Cove has unproductive water right now.

Quan was on fire! He had 4 fish on very few casts. He was using an inflated crawler on a 4ft leader.

Quan’s first fish is a quality Nebraska trout.

Glenn on a bendo.

Glenn lands a feisty bass on a nightcrawler. He thought it was a nice trout at first.

Today’s catches.

So as Quan is catching fish these guys want to squeeze in. They anchor next to use but were cool. They didn’t throw over us or tangle us once. Respectful guys for sure. We later see them in Market Cove and let them know what’s working.

These 2 guys come over and nearly go over our lines with the electric motor. Quan lets them know where we are casting to. I mean come on guys. Out of respect to us what are you doing? They back off and the guy in the front says f***you guys then. Glenn says out loud to them then leave. I don’t want anyone fighting here. It wouldn’t surprise me to see this at other pay lakes tho. But here at LMV! Wow! Come on! A shocker indeed.

I get home and begin to take my gear out of the passenger seat. The passenger door is open with my gear out of the way when my 2 year old pure breed golden retriever jumps in. She licks me in the face a few times to say hi. As I get the other things from the trunk, she stays in the passenger seat. After about 20 minutes she wouldn’t come out. What is one her mind you might ask? She wants me to take her to the park and play ball. Yeah! She does this! I’m too tired for that right now as I didn’t get enough sleep last night. She is such a great dog and is so happy living here.

Well! All in all it was a productive fishing day with awesome weather. The water temp is in the mid 50’s but nice, very clear, and cold. After fishing we went to Subway for some sandwiches. We caught our first few fish of this new year. More fish are to be caught this year. We’re nowhere near done yet. Thanks for coming out Quan and Glenn. Have a good one on the water everyone. Catch many fish this year!!
    Last edited by BigBass777; 01-08-2010 at 08:54 PM.

What a nice Dog. I used to have a golden retriever myself when I was younger. She used to always want to go for drives with the window open enough so she could feel the wind in her face. Memories.

Hey Dave thanks for taking me for some on water therapy today. It was a fun day for sure talking smak with Quan and you. All I can say is that I wish I could get paid to fish instead of getting paid to deal with b*tchy customers all day!

Good write up!

Quan was hot stick today. He found the grove and had his limit fairly early, though he missed a big one after playing with his drag. It broke him off around a bouy line.

Quan on one of the nicer grade fish

Dave on his first (its about time doot!)

I caught two but where are the pic’s guys??

Finally we made a move into market cove after hearing Dave tell (more like whine) why he didn’t like fishing there. Hey Dave this was supposed to be my therapy session. You sound like one of my wha wha customers’

But sometimes I don’t blame you for not liking to fish there, but look your second fish there in two sessions

Today’s catch

WTG Guys... Nice day at the lake...

I cant imagine Quan & Glenn on a boat together (clown patrol).

We all know Fishtaco (Quan) cant fish!!!!!

Hey doot!! you catching bait at LMV????

Looks like a nice day. Good job!