Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castaic Lake 1/06/09 First fishing trip of the year

Default Castaic Lake 1/06/09 First fishing trip of the year

Decided to put my $60 dollar fishing to use for the first time at Castaic Lake. My friend Darot joined me today. Wednesday are his days off, so I invited him fishing. He was suppose to come over early at 5 am, but of course we both preferred to sleep in and headed out to the bountiful lake around noon. After we picked up breakfast/lunch we dropped the boat in the water. Since I have a small motor, it took us 30 minutes to get to our spot. It is quite a long ride, but we had some yummy food to keep us occupied for the majority of the time. Enough ranting, here are the minor moment in time:

The day looked awesome. According to my truck outside temperature, it was 79 degrees in this cold cold January.

With something in our stomachs we landed on our first drop. It started out really slow at first. We were able to land a few schoolies. Here is one of them that fell victim to one of my baits.

It was going terribly slow. I was not sure I was on the correct spot. I had Darot pull anchor 3 times. Poor guy. Once the anchor got stuck and our lines were consistently getting snagged at the bottom, I knew for sure we were over the piece of structure. It was not long before we were pulling in doubles. What a difference a few feet makes.

Darot was able to capitalize on a nicer grade fish on the 3rd anchor reset. He deserved it, after pulling in 300 ft of rope...lol

I hooked a whooper and handed it off to Darot. The line peeled off the reel and screamed! After a brief fight, the line broke. I gave him **** until he made up for it with this beauty. Darot sure looks a lot like Ramboboy.

Fishing was pretty good for us. We filled the cooler. Not bad for 4 hours of fishing. Darot and and his big family will put these fish to good use. There are no bad days at Castaic.

The obligatory parting shot.

Hope you enjoyed fishing with us. See you next time.

It looks like you guys had a good day on the water. Good job on the bigger ones. I am probably going to hit the upper lake on Friday.

Nice way to start the year off, how deep were the fish holding?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBASS MB View Post
    Nice way to start the year off, how deep were the fish holding?
    about 100 feet

That is 1/06/10...my state of mind is still in 2009

Good work!Nice Fish!

Nice catch! Thank you for reporting.

Beautiful day on the Lake. Nice limits. Thanks for the report and pics. Cindy

keel keel....slay slay.......
    Congrats on the feesh..

Nice catch

Default Near limit.

Great catch guys. |I spent a beautiful Tuesday afternoon at Castaic this week. I haven't fished there in years. I meet a new friend that day, Dan. He's a regular at the lake. Dan offered to show me where the fish are biting. After a short ride in his boat up the fish arm we found the spot he had fished for the passed 3 weeks. He was right the fish were there in numbers. A double hookup in the first ten minutes after our cut bait hit the water. At the end of the day we had 18 fish on our stringer. 17 stripper and one catfish. It's a good time to hit Castaic. Great fishing and good people there. I'll be back on that lake soon. Thanks Dan for showing me the ropes.
    Last edited by FISHSOUP; 01-07-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast