Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How 'NOT' to Handle a Black Sea Bass !

Default How 'NOT' to Handle a Black Sea Bass !

Watch these idiots play 'Pass the Bass' for pics then toss this BSB from Venice Pier for a 30' BELLYFLOP on the below video.

Someone should have dove in to revieve it and not make seal or seagull food.
    Why not use the hoopnet to lower it down ???

Remember folks these fish are protected and DO NOT Shove You Hand in the gills to pass around and take pics.

Take your pic of the BSB in the water. Try to grab the hook with needle nose and give it a quick jerk unhook or cut the line as close as possibe.
    This can be done while the fish is in the water.

Got a floater?
    Have a Seabass/Rockfish sinker setup.

Take a big hook like a 10/0 J hook remove the barb and dull the point.
    Tie your line to the J part of the hook. Tie a foot of line to the eye of the hook with a 2 - 4 lb weight. Hook the fish and lower it back down to a release depth this will revieve the fish on the way down as the water goes through the gills then a yank will unhook the fish.

They talked about this on 'Let's Talk hookup' and said they keep a release set ready to go on the boat useing small rope to heavy mono.

I still get POed when I see this video. Fricken Dumbasses !

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g...es-pur_animals

Where is DFG when you need them ? Karim shot this video 2-3 years ago and was the one telling them to hurry and put it back.

Say 'NO' to Pass the Bass !

Say 'YES' to Pass the Gas!

Farnsworth Black Sea Bass
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 01-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.

As far as I see it you have a video showing showing specific people contributing to the death of that BSB, makes me want to puke. Freaking idiots, wanting thier picture taken with someone elses fish......Wheres the F&G when you need them, maybe a video of that, and a quick call to caltip would bring them out presented at the proper time.

Or you could just gaff em, and bring em up for a few pics hanging on the gaff!!!!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=41869

Default Ignorant and uneducated people

It is sad to see the mishandling and terrible release of this beautiful lil black sea bass.yes it does make me sick and yes i want to snap necks..but that wont help...we have to win these battles as they happen. someone needs take charge and speak up and explain how the situation needs to be handled and how to handle special species along with proper release methods. This also goes for undersize fish aswell as junk fish such as mackerel,smelt,croaker and so on. Return whats undersized or you dont want because to remove them from the food chain will be a long term affect where ever you are fishing.
    practice catch and release.......fishbones

The cops and DFG and the rest of them arent reliable in california anymore.

Ive had enough.

time for vigilante justice.

And yes, I'm being serious. From county to county, city-to-city, we should have regulation enforcement groups, where we go out in large numbers and enforce everything ourselves. Imagine that!

If we get known for this, it will reduce poachers, clean the beaches, and make everyone happier in the long run.

That fish would've been just fine if it was lowered back down into the water with the net. I have had little perch die from a belly flop when they come off the hook. I'm sure the guy throwing the fish back in was looking forward to "throwing" the fish back in. Tomake matters worse notice the kid drops him in sideways as opposed to head first to minimize impact. When I see that video, it reminds me why I never fish the pier anymore.
    Last edited by Jaysuuun; 01-05-2010 at 03:55 PM.

I vote smokehound for president in 2010

Default that's a dead dinosaur floating

This **** really gets to me all the time people are hurting these fish just for a photo sure some swim down but will they be alive when they get down to the bottom. What i hate is when someone has a big BSB on there line like a 250+ pound fish and they fight it for a hour or so what do they think it is a wsb or yellow it puts a lot of stress on a fish 80 + years old. Just cut the line after 40 min fight so at least it is down deep and you know it was a BSB if you are not gaining on it. At least one guy in the video was saying throw it back but the rest are all losers and i hope they don't catch anything off the pier again.

Bigred

fishbones- I promise everyone a nug of dank chronic in 2012! Prostitutes everywhere!

Its sad to see these sick monkeys ruining everything for us.

ticks me off,,, I don't take any of that... woulda called the cops and been yellin' at them for being stupid,,,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast