Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Coast Trip 12/29/2009 - 1/1/2010: Huell Howser Made it Look Easy

Nice long report, but be careful of making stranger a "friend" or a fishing buddy. You two surprise me.

Yeah Lefty, I'm a girl. I fish with different Team 57 Guys. They tell me their wives don't care for fishing. I date Guys that don't care for fishing. I said the next Guys I decided to be with has to LOVE fishing as much as I do or worse! Ha!Ha! I love the story of you and your lady Eunice. I hope you Guys have many more years of fishing. Take care.
    Cindy

fishmounter, I know what you mean. We just had regular conversation though, mostly about fishing. There were also a bunch of police cars and ambulances that came by while he was fishing in his other spot. He said two cars crashed and the weird thing was that they were not on the road.

Mondo, I am about to eat my mussel soup. We went fishing at Oceanside yesterday, but there wasn't much to talk about, just a few small fish. But since it was low tide I collected a bunch of mussels. Eunice worked really hard cleaning and cooking them, adding Tomatoes, Chinese wine and white pepper to the broth -- very tasty. Oh, I had to score exams today, too, so not much time for internet use. I just finished scoring the tests, in fact. With all the avid fisherguys out there, I would think your chances of finding one who likes your company are very good.

Mondo, I am about to eat my mussel soup. We went fishing at Oceanside yesterday, but there wasn't much to talk about, just a few small fish. But since it was low tide I collected a bunch of mussels. Eunice worked really hard cleaning and cooking them, adding Tomatoes, Chinese wine and white pepper to the broth -- very tasty. Oh, I had to score exams today, too, so not much time for internet use. I just finished scoring the tests, in fact. With all the avid fisherguys out there, I would think your chances of finding one who likes your company are very good. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like Eunice is a great cook also. Can't beat that. I'm a very good cook also,and so says other people. I'm from louisiana. Mom's taught me well,God rest her soul.
    I'll find a good man and Fisherman one day. I'm not rushing it.
    Do you and Eunice ever fish freshwater? I fish at Irvine and I did Corona a couple of Saturdays ago. Team 57 has an event this Wednesday at SantaAna lake. Maybe you n Eunice wants to join us out there. It cost 22.00 ea. person.You have to sign up for that. Check it out! If it rains, I won't go,I'm coming from the San Fernando Valley.
    Good talking to you Lefty. Check out the Corona Thread under Big Daddy and Mondo21 take on the waters of Corona. I'm also under a Thread at Irvine lake.You can see who you are talking too. Cindy

Mondo, actually, we fish freshwater more than saltwater, especially since we live in Moreno Valley. But the winter is the "off-season" for freshwater if you fish from shore like me and aren't into the stocker trout thing which I am not.

I have been skunked my last two times to Perris Lake, although there were some interesting developments at Perris a couple of weeks ago. They opened up the marina docks to fishing even on weekends, and not just the end, but anyplace which wasn't behind a locked gate. I guess it's because the lake is now closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I went out there and the guy next to me immediately hooked a big fish, which turned out to be a Carp. I took a video of him on his camera playing it, and helped him land it. He was excited about it and kept it even though it was a Carp. I also found out that some Redears were biting even though it was January. I don't think that I had ever seen Redears caught there in January before. They were not very big, they were all closer to shore, they were very picky about technique (light line, little weight, small hooks, and redworms) and they had bitten better in the morning before I got there, but several fisherpeople caught 3-5 per person. Somehow, I managed not to get so much as a bite, despite my best efforts, but like I said, I apparently got there too late for the best fishing. I only saw 2 caught after I got there, and they were by people who fish there constantly (Lorenzo, and another guy I keep seeing there). Well, there's another late report of mine. With our drought busting el nino rainstorms here, I doubt the Redears are biting now.

Mondo, I do think I saw some of your pictures from Louisiana now that I think about it. Those pictures and your description of the fishing had me drooling. My wife and I have fished lots of other states on vacations, too, mostly northern tier states during August, and it's amazing how easy it usually is to catch fish in these places using the techniques we have learned in the challenging conditions of fishing California. We usually do a lot better than the local residents, mostly by using "crappie" jigs for whatever is around, somtimes flies, metal lures or worms. I am convinced that fishing in California makes people better at "catching," because we have to try harder to figure out how to catch the fish (like the January Redears at Perris Lake).

Mondo, I do think I saw some of your pictures from Louisiana now that I think about it. Those pictures and your description of the fishing had me drooling. My wife and I have fished lots of other states on vacations, too, mostly northern tier states during August, and it's amazing how easy it usually is to catch fish in these places using the techniques we have learned in the challenging conditions of fishing California. We usually do a lot better than the local residents, mostly by using "crappie" jigs for whatever is around, somtimes flies, metal lures or worms. I am convinced that fishing in California makes people better at "catching," because we have to try harder to figure out how to catch the fish (like the January Redears at Perris Lake).[/QUOTE]

Yeah Lefty, can't wait to get back to Louisiana this year. I have Family over there, so I don't have to worry about having to pay for food or a hotel. My Cousin, (T-Clyde) who I was in the pics with fishes all the time. Fresh and salt water. He also shrimps too. That's how we caught the Big Cats. We went out and shrimped and then fished with the fresh shrimp. I remembered one time we were out fishing and ran out of the fresh and started using the frozen shrimp and the bite completely stopped. A valuable lesson learned that day. It was good chatting with you Lefty. Later. Back to work, oh I haven't even started yet. Cindy

We have a similar situation. We are world class cheapskates mostly out of necessity. Fortunately for us, one of my brothers lives at South Lake Tahoe, so we stayed there for a week in June and did lots of fishing. My brother doesn't fish much, but one of his little daughters loves fishing, so we took her when it was feasible. After showing my brother our catches and one of the fishing spots we discovered, he did get really interested in fishing once again. He actually is an environmental scientist some of whose work involves fisheries, for example the Paiute Cutthroat Trout restoration project I wrote about a few months ago. We also got to visit with my brother and his family. I just wish I could live at Tahoe every summer, and maybe Hawaii every winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    We have a similar situation. We are world class cheapskates mostly out of necessity.
    Sometime I wish I was a little cheap, I would have a savings account. I like nice things in my house. Anyway, I will be heading to Louisiana in June again. I use to go in July, too darn hot! I remember once I almost fainted in the boat it was soooo hot in July. Can't wait to find a good deal for June and off I go in search of Big Cats Tahoe sounds great! I've never been there. Later Lefty. Cindy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12