Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Ventura perch and a Big Surprise

Default Ventura perch and a Big Surprise

Hit the beach this morning and immediately started to pick up some nice slabs on the Gulp (any color)

The waves were coming in big but the fish zone was hot.

I was carrying 2 rods, one with mono for C-Rigs and the other with 8 lb. braided for hardbaits. I went to the braid and started trhowing a 1/2 oz. Kastmaster. On the second cast, BENDO and this was no perch!
    About ten minutes later after a great fight I landed this beast. If only it had been a white sea bass.... Oh well, it was a great fight anyway.
    [/img]

The water was clean but lousy with wood that kept pounding my waders. I finally had to make it up to a rock to avoid getting knocked over. It was a beautiful morning in Ventura and the winter fishing is peaking. Still looking for that elusive Halibut. Til next time... Peace

nice catch...

What spinning reel is that in the picture?

wow redsyn i was just gonna ask that. haha

nice fish.

Quote Originally Posted by samgann93 View Post
    wow redsyn i was just gonna ask that. haha

nice fish.
    Yea I think it looks like some kind of a daiwa because of the handle knobs. Maybe the advantage w/ the spare spool?

Nice Slabs and suprize Shovel on the light gear!!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Redsyn View Post
    Yea I think it looks like some kind of a daiwa because of the handle knobs. Maybe the advantage w/ the spare spool?
    It is a Daiwa Exceler 4000, and yes, it comes with an extra spool.
    I've always liked Daiwas.

Ha ha, I would be hoping that it would be a big Hali or WSB too. I get these guys from time to time on the LC... usually snag them on the back by accident. They do give you the run for the money, especially the bigger ones. Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Ha ha, I would be hoping that it would be a big Hali or WSB too. I get these guys from time to time on the LC... usually snag them on the back by accident. They do give you the run for the money, especially the bigger ones. Thanks for the report.
    Hey, Wingnut... Let me know the next time you're up in Ventura. I'd like to hookup with ya...
    Surfman1

Surfman 1,

The shovel nose fish can make for some great action on light tackle.
    I also fish up in ventura area and have been tested on light tackle to.
    thanks for the report.

Saltman..