Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Year's Day Mission. S.W.A.T. Unleashes "Multi" Surf Weapons.

Default New Year's Day Mission. S.W.A.T. Unleashes "Multi" Surf Weapons.

Partied it up at the pad to bring in the New Year in style with some of my closest friends last night. The last few guests passed the breathalyzer at 4:30am and was given the car keys to drive home. Working once again on zero sleep, I started preparing my “Special” surf weapons for the morning mission. Mike (Bones) pulled up right on time to my driveway at 5:30am. Let’s see if we can start the New Year off in the surf with a bang and chase the Flatties with a multitude of weapons today.

Special thanks to City Dad - I sent a covert PM to Tim about a week ago placing an order for a new arsenal of his custom surf flies. Thanks for the quick turn around time Tim and you matched the specs that I needed perfectly!

Conditions:
    Crisp and clear morning with a slight overcast giving way to spotty sunshine. Light inshore wind. Fishing a very high incoming tide with a rapid recess. Excellent water clarity with very little salad. Moderate surf condition 1-3 ft swells. No baitfish presence.

Fishing duration:
    7:00am to 1:00pm

Techniques:
    Wingnut – Fly Gear
    Bones – Dropshotting plastics / Throwing hardbaits

Fish count – All released.
    Bones
    (2) Halibut (1) Legal 27”(1) Short
    (1) Calico Bass
    (1) Yellow Fin Croaker
    (1) Smelt
    Wingnut
    (4) Halibut (2) Legals 22”, 23” (2) Shorts
    (1) Opaleye Perch (New species!)

Details of the mission:
    Conventional gear vs Fly gear in the surf… we’ll call it a tie okay Mike?
    Took me a little time to get back in the swing of things since I haven’t picked up my fly gear in quite awhile. Getting a Flattie in the first 15 minutes of stripping felt great. Knowing that the fish were there and that I chose the right fly patterns gave me all the confidence I needed.

Mike, it was great going back and forth with you in the surf today with different weapons in our hands. We certainly started 2010 on the right track in the surf!
    It will be another great year for the S.W.A.T. Crew.

Happy New Year everybody! May all your troubles last about as long as your New Year resolutions. lol

“Too many people look forward to the New Year for a new start on old habits…”

Mission photos, enjoy!
    Gearing up for flight... all systems go!

The Greg Madrigal custom hand net came in handy today. Greg, the net is a work of art and performed great. No Trout today buddy... just Halibut & Perch.

Nice Calico Mike!

Opaleye, new species!

Mike on a bendo and gets the biggest Halibut of the day.

The release...

Bonus pics:

The City Dad Arsenal of Surf Flies... custom made to order.

Secret sauce!

"Conventional" wisdom Mike?

Parting shots:
    From my home to yours... "Happy New Year".

Last edited by Wingnut; 01-03-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Add + spelling corrections.

Wow!
    What a serious way to ring in the new year Arthur! Even though it was an all nighter for you and 1 1/2 hours of sleep for me I knew I had to make this SWAT outing.
    Boy was that spot flooded out in the am. Our backs were up against the wall but we have a way of making the best out of what poseiden hands us most of the time.
    I was really hoping that flattie was going to be my PB but hey......I'll take what god provides me with!
    A 27" FLATTIE and a Toad Calico definately turned my frown upside down for sure today.
    From catching a legal halibut last season on a superman pole to starting off the new year by slaying them on the fly.....You are truely a talented fisherman my friend.
    Always a pleasure assaulting the surf with you dude and I hope that the ONE DAY to heal is going to be enough for my back before our attack on sunday with the boyz!
    Can't wait to see what we can do on sunday!!
    Thanks for the BD and XMAS gifts once again Arthur.....Your friendship is truely a blessing!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and TIGHT LINES TO EVERYONE IN 2010!!
    Last edited by bones; 01-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

nice,very nice,wingnut you are the man when it comes to the surf

Arthur, very nice day on the fly rod! Saltwater fly fishing (and fly tying) has always intrigued me, but I can't ever convince myself to give it a try when the LC is right there! Learning to cast a whole new way is also a mental barrier I have to get over. Maybe 2010 will be the year I finally give it a shot. In any case, mucho props on not being afraid of the unorthodox, and glad to see it paid off.

Mike, a fat calico and a fat halibut... what more could you want in a day of surf fishing? You managed to get the big fish of the day, and while it wasn't your personal best I have a feeling you'll get it very soon. Glad to see that your back is feeling better too, and I hope to share the surf again with you this year. I've got to focus more on dropshotting this year, so maybe you can give me a few tips next time we're out.

To both of you guys, my new years resolution was to broaden my horizons, and thanks for a report that provides an inspiration for that goal! Looking forward to more SWAT adventures in 2010!

Way to go guys. It looks like a fun day! I never knew you could catch a halibut with fly gear!

Arthur.....You never stop amazing me with your talent Bro.
    Fifteen minutes in and "Wham", first hali of 2010, and 3 others with a 50/50 ratio... Then a new species to boot, no doubt...

That calico, Bones caught, was nice sized. He did very well today also with a nice mix of fish. Especially that 27 1/2" hali....

Thanks for the report and the pics, especially the one of "lil man" looking like a "pimp"...

Thanks again for the info you PM'd me. I will be using it tomorrow down at San Onofre...

Way To Kick Off The Year & I Hope Good Fortune Follows You Wherever You Go...

Default Nice.

Wow, what a way to start the year! The SWAT brass showing us how it's done, awesome. Catching a halibut on regular gear is hard enough, but on the fly stuff. U da man bro. Happy new year, looking forward to enjoying more reports from you guys.

Arthur, Mike, both of you guys impressed me on our outing with your knowledge and your skills in the surf and both of you deserved to start out the New Year with a bang. Congratulations on another successful outing in the surf!
    Arthur, I'm getting some gear ready for another go at the surf and I'm going to need some tips from you in the near future so I'm going to be buggin' you. I hope you don't mind. I started feeling a little guilty about a purchase I made the other day and hinted to my wife that I was going to return it. She wasn't going to have that so she hid it from me until I came to my senses.
    Mike, I still have that lure you gave me and I'm looking forward to tossing that one for another try at a legal.

Great job again guys and congratulations again on some fine catches!

Art, thank you for inviting us all to your New year's Eve party, everybody had a great time. I can't believe how much food there was and everybody left with a care package. You host the best parties and me and my family appreciate you including us in your celebration.

As for the fishing, I think I counted about five shots of XO and Crown that you took all night. Not nearly enough to slow down the Man of Steel.
    Congrats on a successful first mission of the year for the SWAT crew. I'm sure we will be seeing much more of that throughout the year.

Happy New Year my friend.

Binh

Damn was about to go to bed until I saw this post. Congrats on the fly flatties. I tried fly casting a few times in the surf but couldn't program my brain to strip set the line when I got a strike. Kept wanting to pull back on the rod and I would miss every hit. Only caught a few on the fly by accident. You make it look so easy. Another great outing by the both of you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast