Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Big Bear Lake 12-26-09

Default Big Bear Lake 12-26-09

Long time, no post. Thought I'd see if I could remember how to do this. I made my way up to the house in Big Bear Saturday morning to turn on all the gizmos for some friends using the house this week. While up there I grabbed the gear and headed over to the lake to see if I could find any open water. Most of the lake is frozen over but there was some clear water at the dam area, so I set up shop there.

I was soaking PB, salmon eggs, and crawlers for nothing. About an hour and one-half in I shifted to the east and set up my 1st pole with American Pie. Started to set up my 2nd pole and I saw a tap-tap on my 1st. Walked over to it and it tapped again. Picked up the pole and took up some slack and I was slammed. Fight on. I played it slow and easy due to the fact that I was using but 2lb. leader on 4lb. line. The fish headed deep and almost spooled me on the 1st run. It had 2 more good, long runs in it before I could finally get it close for a visual. I knew it was a nice fish and once I got a good look at it I was like, "Nice fish!" The fish was about 12'-15' feet off shore at 5' deep when it flashed sideways. It looked to be a solid 4-5 lbs. I was stoked. It was the biggest trout I've hooked. The fish rose, didn't jump, but it's head came out of the water, and 2 shakes later spit the hook. Bummer on the loss but what an awesome fight. It's a feeling that only a fisherman can understand, losing a nice fish and not being upset about it. What a great feeling.

Fished for another hour or so with no other action. I did see a gentleman to the west of me land 1 trout but that was it and all I saw for the day. Thanks for reading.

Bill

Matthew 4:19

Too bad, Bill!!! I tried for a bit two weekends ago, but didn't get anything - and it was too cold and windy to stay out for long.

Next warmish day I'm up I may try the dam area for a bit and see what I can find.

ET

Too bad for the shake off, that's a nice fight on 4lb test. Most know what you went through break off after the visual. My son had exactly same happen to him at DV with a bow at least 20", he showed us his tail and girth at the end of the boat and right about of netting he broke off nice and clean- I just hate the moment of silence part... Hope you'll get em next time...

Nice read . Thanks for posting up .

This is the second post in a week on BBL so maybe I should put my long under wear on and grab my float tube and head up , Vince the DVL is slow now but I found the holdovers . PM ME . / db