Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Surf Fishing for Halibut 101

Great Info! I just found this post . I fish fresh water only except for occasional Tuna and Salmon trips . I have been
    wanting to get into surf fishing especially for Hallies . When I was a teenager I fished the surf but it was always with
    bait . You broke down this kind of fishing very well for me I really like the simplicity of your style of fishing. Equipment
    and lure choices are pretty easy to come up with for a very small investment . You also gave some great info on
    optimal times to target those flatties and some good ideas on where .

Also your advise on a sharp knife for the waders is spot on . I almost drowned myself in a river because of water filled waders and a sharp knife definitely saved my butt. I can only imagine the horror of being tumbled in the surfs washing machine wearing waders. Oh hell nooooooooooooooo ! I will endure the "looks" in one of my surfing skins .
    Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction .

Do you SWAT guys ever get together down south at all . I live in Murrietta So I will be spending most of my time fishing from Ocean Side down to San Diego. I would love to get some first hand pointers and techniques from U more experienced
    Surf Fishing PEEPS !

Once again Great write up ! P.M. if there are any get togethers in the surf down my way!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Of Fish View Post
    Great Info! I just found this post . I fish fresh water only except for occasional Tuna and Salmon trips . I have been
    wanting to get into surf fishing especially for Hallies . When I was a teenager I fished the surf but it was always with
    bait . You broke down this kind of fishing very well for me I really like the simplicity of your style of fishing. Equipment
    and lure choices are pretty easy to come up with for a very small investment . You also gave some great info on
    optimal times to target those flatties and some good ideas on where .

Also your advise on a sharp knife for the waders is spot on . I almost drowned myself in a river because of water filled waders and a sharp knife definitely saved my butt. I can only imagine the horror of being tumbled in the surfs washing machine wearing waders. Oh hell nooooooooooooooo ! I will endure the "looks" in one of my surfing skins .
    Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction .

Do you SWAT guys ever get together down south at all . I live in Murrietta So I will be spending most of my time fishing from Ocean Side down to San Diego. I would love to get some first hand pointers and techniques from U more experienced
    Surf Fishing PEEPS !

Once again Great write up ! P.M. if there are any get togethers in the surf down my way!
    We have a member that lives in your neighborhood. His name is Robert (Murrieta Angler) and he fish the Southern region regularly.
    You are welcome to send him a PM or any of us and we will be happy to steer you in the right direction.
    Also, keep an eye on the board when we announce the 5th Annual Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Event later this year. A great event to attend to learn and meet new friends with a passion for surf fishing.
    Take care and good luck out there.

Hey HoF,

Glad you found the post informative! It's great to hear that people are still finding it useful even though I wrote it in 2009. I don't fish in SD with any frequency, and actually have no idea when I'll be hitting the surf again. Like Wingnut said, Murrieta Angler fishes the SD area regularly and is a fantastic resource.

As for wetsuit vs. waders, I like to wear a wetsuit jacket and boardshorts when the weather warms up. Get a pair of surf booties to protect your feet from rocks/rays/needles/glass though if you go that route.

Best,

Marc aka bsp

Awesome tip, this will be my first year trying to snag a halibut. Thank you for the information

With LCs do you tie it directly to the main line, use a snap swivel or a Carolina rig set up? I tried all 3 & I haven't caught any yet haha

Tie directly to your main line for best results. Keep tossing them and you'll stick flatties soon!

Have you found a better set of surf shoes? I started surf fishing last fall around OC and cannot find a set I like and end up bare footing a lot which I would prefer not to heh

Quote Originally Posted by Slickwill43 View Post
    Have you found a better set of surf shoes? I started surf fishing last fall around OC and cannot find a set I like and end up bare footing a lot which I would prefer not to heh
    Simms and Hodgman makes some really nice wading boots and booties.
    You can also wear some heavy duty sandals like Keen or Timberland.
    With all the Sting Rays in the SoCal surf, I wouldn't go barefoot...

Thanks I bought some temporary cheapos and am looking at the better options, having a ray slam into my foot recently freaked me out enough for one lifetime. :)

10. Default

Hey all, I'm interested in getting into surf fishing socal and found this thread... unfortunately I live in the AV... so I cant get to the beach as quickly as I'd like... and gas makes exploring as often as I'd like a little expensive.....! anyone want a tagalong from a good ole military boy?? I'll be glad to exchange a bass fishing trip on castaic or pyramid!!!!

thanks, Jason
    Last edited by mis-placed_country_boy; 06-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast