Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Surf Fishing for Halibut 101

Default Thanks again!

Hi Marc:

Many thanks for the information! And referring me to the other article. You are right, i should probably start with the basics...You guys make it look too easy

I'll check out a few more stores in the area and see what sorts of rods they have. You're suggesting I should try to get the same rod in medium power for perch/croaker fishing, right? I'll definitely change the reel.

regards,

cactusfan

right on.. i really liked reading that

Quote Originally Posted by cactusfan View Post
    Hi Marc:

Many thanks for the information! And referring me to the other article. You are right, i should probably start with the basics...You guys make it look too easy

I'll check out a few more stores in the area and see what sorts of rods they have. You're suggesting I should try to get the same rod in medium power for perch/croaker fishing, right? I'll definitely change the reel.

regards,

cactusfan
    No worries man, SWAT guys like helping others catch fish. Glad you understand that it's good to get the basics down first! Some people get offended by that, and then end up unhappy fishermen when they can't read the surf to find fish.

I would definitely go for a Medium Clarus for perch/croaker fishing if you can. It will allow you to fish a 3/4oz weight more effectively than the med-light, and that's pretty much going to be your go to weight for C-rigs. It will fish 1/2oz well too, and that's about as light as you're going to go unless you are targeting corbina.

Thanks again for the clarification Marc, yeah, the people on this list seem really nice and willing to share info. However much I can't resist a good deal, I'm going to take your advice and return the rod, and get a different setup for BSP and YTC. I'll keep you updated on how things go.

Cheers,

cactusfan

Quote Originally Posted by koifish View Post
    Great infor, can u use lure at night time for hali? Can they see?

Thanks
    Yes you can use lures at night for halibut, and it really doesn't matter what color. They'll see the silhouette of the bait and feel the vibration it emits in the water. It can be productive, and you occasionally get some species that come in close to shore under the cover of night that normally aren't associated with the surf. A lot more rays are out though, so be careful where you step.

Cactus,
    Sounds good, and looking forward to your reports!

Thanks man the info was great.

A normal fat white grub will catch a legal hali, too!

Follow Marc's advise.... It's very good Information.
    You might stick one like this...

In my dreams maybe.
    DR

thanks bsp, I took some of your info from this post and put it to use, low and behold I caught my surf Hali this morning. 16inches on a LC, 1st fish on a LC. Thanks for the info, keep it comming. One can never get to smart at fishing.
    Have Fun / Fish Hard
    BRING IT

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast