Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Fishing for Halibut 101

FB, I've decided it really isn't worth arguing this point. I appreciate the comments since they do help others make their own decisions, but this is one of these things that I feel is better to err on the side of caution. Glad you like the guide, and I am looking forward to your first halibut report!
    Last edited by bsp; 12-28-2009 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    FB, I've decided it really isn't worth arguing this point. I appreciate the comments since they do help others make their own decisions, but this is one of these things that I feel is better to err on the side of caution. Glad you like the guide, and I am looking forward to your first halibut report!
    The next step is to actually use the info from the guide! I don't know when the next time I will hit the surf will be. Probably once I get my drivers license...
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 12-28-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    The next step is to actually use the info from the guide! I don't know when the next time I will hit the surf will be. Probably once I get my drivers license...
    Let me know when you go, and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Spring is traditionally when the halibut bite goes full tilt, so you have a little while. Good luck with the license test!

Let me know when you go, and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Spring is traditionally when the halibut bite goes full tilt, so you have a little while. Good luck with the license test!
    Thanks. I will hopefully get my license next month. I can't wait for spring for bass. I didn't know that halibut fishing was great in spring too! I just wished I lived closer to the surf! It is a lot harder to drive an hour to the beach then just head up to Castaic 10 to 15 minutes away.

I am going to use my bass gear in the surf like I did once before. I messed up my baitcaster in the surf last time, lol. Time to pick up an LC. All I have is a Rapala.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 12-28-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Pics are up!

BSP, this is absolutely amazing.

Thanks so much for taking the time out to put up a comprehensive post full of great insight and wisdom. This knowledge surely has and will continue to educate aspiring surf fisherman for awhile to come.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to go to the shore and throw Rapalas when I was younger, everyone told me I was crazy and it wouldn't produce anything. I don't have the gear to land a big flattie anyways, 6# test for hard baits on a ML 7' 4-12# rod, seems a little underpowered. If I were pushing at least 8# id give it a go.

Course I don't have any type of Fish Gripper... Everything I've caught, I've lipped. :)

Tight lines.

Glad you like it! When I got into halibut fishing, there really weren't any good articles or information out there on how to catch them from shore. I hope this helps you stick some.

You could definitely use that rod for dropshotting sandy, clam beaches without any boiler rocks or kelp, but be aware that if you try using it near structure you'll probably get rocked.

As for a fish gripper, I think Lipper makes one called the Econo-Lipper for $20 that'll work well. Don't try to lip halibut! You'll get really hurt.

Glad you like it! When I got into halibut fishing, there really weren't any good articles or information out there on how to catch them from shore. I hope this helps you stick some.

You could definitely use that rod for dropshotting sandy, clam beaches without any boiler rocks or kelp, but be aware that if you try using it near structure you'll probably get rocked.

As for a fish gripper, I think Lipper makes one called the Econo-Lipper for $20 that'll work well. Don't try to lip halibut! You'll get really hurt.
    Haha, I could imagine. Largest halibut we've landed was 38" when we had our boat, that big boy had teeth that could give a pit bull a run for his money.

still have yet to catch a hali from the sand!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    still have yet to catch a hali from the sand!
    Is there anything you want me to elaborate a little more on then, and what have you been doing to target halibut?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast