Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Surf Fishing for Halibut 101

First post on the site! Woooo!!
    Thanks for that super informative bit about Halibut!
    Oh and does it matter what kind of LC I should use when hunting for a Hali? Do they prefer the "sardine" one? Or doesnt really matte?
    And I wade a little bit past my ankles when fishing, is there a chance I might be scaring away the Halibut by wading in too deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost117 View Post
    First post on the site! Woooo!!
    Thanks for that super informative bit about Halibut!
    Oh and does it matter what kind of LC I should use when hunting for a Hali? Do they prefer the "sardine" one? Or doesnt really matte?
    And I wade a little bit past my ankles when fishing, is there a chance I might be scaring away the Halibut by wading in too deep?
    For the surf, people usually use the LC FM110 and some like to use the Pointer 100. I don't think they necessarily prefer any pattern color because I've caught some one some wild and bland colors/patterns. You should be fine wading ankle deep only. Good luck out there!

I have never targeted halibut from the surf here in san diego..interesting thread

Hi Marc,

This is great info and I'm a bit confused about some of the info on gear selection and trying learn. Isn't 50-65# braid overpowering for a 8-17lb rod? If you accidentally hooked up with a shark or ray couldn't the rod snap before the braid gave? Or do you just adjust the drag so that it lets line peel? Seems like a mismatch and for a Phenix rod you could be out hundred of dollars.

Also I bought a Phenix M1 Inshore Medium Light (ML) rated for 10-25 lbs and 1-3 oz lures and want to know if it will work for this type of inshore fishing. Even though it is under the rating, I can throw a LC 110 SP minnow pretty far and smooth. I have the rod paired with a Penn Spinfisher V 3500, spooled with 12# mono though I guess I could go up to 30# line at the sacrifice of line capacity.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456